Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The WiFi network requires a WPA3 password

I found an old discussion about this (The wifi network requires a WPA2 password… - Apple Community), but it's June 2022 and I'm still seeing this problem on a new M1 Macbook Pro running the latest OS X (12.4). The solutions listed don't fix it for me. It's a new Netgear router that I set up myself, so I know for sure the password is correct. I can connect to the 2.4Ghz channel just fine, but the 5Ghz channel keeps asking for the password and refuses to connect. I tried restarting my machine and renewing the DHCP leases, to no avail. Anyone got any other ideas?

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 10:34 AM

7 replies

Jun 19, 2022 10:56 AM in response to madaross

madaross wrote:

I found an old discussion about this (The wifi network requires a WPA2 password… - Apple Community), but it's June 2022 and I'm still seeing this problem on a new M1 Macbook Pro running the latest OS X (12.4). The solutions listed don't fix it for me. It's a new Netgear router that I set up myself, so I know for sure the password is correct. I can connect to the 2.4Ghz channel just fine, but the 5Ghz channel keeps asking for the password and refuses to connect. I tried restarting my machine and renewing the DHCP leases, to no avail. Anyone got any other ideas?

Some routers are "simultaneous dual band," some are not.

Set up both Networks on a "dual band" Netgear router— it is one or the other you log into.

Jun 19, 2022 10:42 AM in response to madaross

It is possible, though not the default, to have the two bands {2.4GHz and 5 GHz) configured as distinct networks. If you do, different passwords can be set for each of the district networks.

The advantage to having two networks is that you can force connection to one or the other by reselecting which network to join. (MacOS hangs on to a marginal Network connection until it becomes unusable otherwise.)

Jun 21, 2022 8:31 AM in response to madaross

None of the answers above were helpful. I did find a solution, which was just to change the 5g channel to 36. The higher channels didn't want to connect, for whatever reason, even though in my System Information > Network > WiFi, it lists all these channels as "supported":

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165

Maybe there was a conflict in the area or something. But I was previously trying to use the channels that WiFi diagnostics said were the "best" channels, so who knows.

The WiFi network requires a WPA3 password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.