Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does AppleCare cover liquid damage under the "accidental damage' provision?

Does apple care+ cover damage from liquid damage under the accidental damage provision?

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 3:58 PM

Hi,

Yes, AppleCare+ does cover damages caused by liquid contact from spills (but not submerged in liquid):

"3.2 Services for Accidental Damage from Handling (“ADH Service”)

If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling resulting from an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and damages caused by liquid contact from spills) (“ADH”), Apple will, at its discretion and subject to the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new or previously used Apple genuine parts that have been tested and pass Apple functional requirements, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or comprised of new and/or previously used Apple genuine parts and has been tested and passed Apple functional requirements."

There is an additional cost of $299.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/2205/220606_applecareplusmac_us.pdf

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 3:58 PM in response to prhinehart

Hi,

Yes, AppleCare+ does cover damages caused by liquid contact from spills (but not submerged in liquid):

"3.2 Services for Accidental Damage from Handling (“ADH Service”)

If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling resulting from an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and damages caused by liquid contact from spills) (“ADH”), Apple will, at its discretion and subject to the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new or previously used Apple genuine parts that have been tested and pass Apple functional requirements, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or comprised of new and/or previously used Apple genuine parts and has been tested and passed Apple functional requirements."

There is an additional cost of $299.

https://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/2205/220606_applecareplusmac_us.pdf

Jun 19, 2022 12:46 PM in response to prhinehart

Read ▶︎ Liquid Damage (not covered by warranty). 

Turning on a wet machine can cause more damage and increase the cost of repair. ⚠️

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status.

Jun 19, 2022 2:55 PM in response to prhinehart

Based on my personal experience with a 2020 MacBook Pro that had an accidental liquid spill, AppleCare+ did cover it as one of the two (yearly) accidental incidents. However, the repair was not free, just at a reduced cost.

To add a bit to Smilin-Brian's comment I second the fact that you should stop using your notebook until it can be examined ... leaving it powered-off. FWIW, the small spill my notebook experienced, resulted in having to get a new logic board, display screen, and touchpad. (... and I did power it off immediately afterwards.)

Does AppleCare cover liquid damage under the "accidental damage' provision?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.