Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does it say I have 5 devices authorized when it only shows 4 on the list?

New laptop, finally getting to using iTunes, and it says I'm not authorized... makes sense.

But it says that I already have 5 devices authorized.

Look at my account, get rid of the old dead phones, but I only have 4 devices -- iphone, MacPro, iPad, and this new Macbook.

I logged out and back in, no change.

I tried to "deauthorized" this computer (which apparently isn't authorized).

Is there a place I should be looking for more details? I thought that when I migrated everything to the new computer it would transfer this, and I was obviously incorrect. Or do I just need to wait for everything to run through the Apple system?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 9:53 PM

OK.

I get that, but it's really not helpful for me not to be able to see what's already authorized on my account. I do still have access to the old laptop, fortunately, and I will see if deauthorizing it makes the difference.

The article doesn't explain the difference between what's authorized and what's just on my account at all, and it would be more helpful if it did. And it would more helpful if it was more concrete about which was applicable to each device.

So, I've marked their help page as "unhelpful" -- but @FoxFifth at least explained it better.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 9:53 PM in response to FoxFifth

OK.

I get that, but it's really not helpful for me not to be able to see what's already authorized on my account. I do still have access to the old laptop, fortunately, and I will see if deauthorizing it makes the difference.

The article doesn't explain the difference between what's authorized and what's just on my account at all, and it would be more helpful if it did. And it would more helpful if it was more concrete about which was applicable to each device.

So, I've marked their help page as "unhelpful" -- but @FoxFifth at least explained it better.

Jun 19, 2022 6:14 PM in response to Christine Doyle

There is a difference between computers authorized for iTunes and devices on your account. To deauthorize a computer see the "How to authorize or deauthorize your Mac" or the "How to authorize or deauthorize your PC" sections of Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

If you no longer have access to an authorized computer, you can "Deauthorize All" and then authorize any computer that you still have and want to use. See the "If you need to deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to" sections of that same support article.

Note that authorizations are only applicable to computers, not iPhones or iPads.

Jun 20, 2022 7:46 AM in response to Christine Doyle

The following user tip from another very knowledgeable member here may also help: Authorization vs. association - Apple Community

Also, not being able to see what is already authorized is usually not a big problem. Authorized only applies to computers so it is usually not that big a deal to just "Deauthorize All" and then reauthorize any computers you still have and still want to use for access to iTunes purchases. Not ideal, I understand, but workable.

Why does it say I have 5 devices authorized when it only shows 4 on the list?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.