Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K Late 2015 Monterey 12.4 Kernel panic at shutdown

So, today I updated my OS to the latest version 12.4, I was at 12.1. But after that when I try to shutdown the Mac the system shuts down and restarts showing a kernel panic message and boots again and show that my system was restarted bcs of a problem.

I can't solve this, I tried check my system extensions, disk utility to check the disk, apple diagnostics at boot. nothing solves this. I can only shutdown my computer by forcing it with the power button.

The only "solution" that I have in my mind is restore from a Time Machine backup.

https://youtu.be/HpndZuTDvHs

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2022 9:44 PM

First, make sure nothing (external drives, docks, hubs, printers ...) is connected to your Mac. Try again. Does the problem still occur?

If it does ...

Make sure you have a reliable backup (I usually make two backups).

DIagnostics:

Boot into Safe Mode

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

After booting into Safe Mode, shut down to see if it is fixed. If it works in Safe Mode, you have something installed that is conflicting. One way to track this down is to download and run Etrecheck and post the output using the Additional Text button below. You can check before posting -- no identifying information is included in the output. Etrecheck reveals all the additional extensions installed. Examples of things that can cause trouble include: anti-virus, security suites, "cleaning" apps, third party disk utilities, and the like. Do you have any of those installed.

If you still cannot shut down in Safe Mode, reset the SMC if your Mac supports it:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If this does not fix it, reset NVRAM (if your Mac supports it):

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support 

Then shut down to see if it cured the problem.

If not, boot into Recovery.

Run Disk Utility from there to perform First Aid and repair the disk's file system. (You may have already done this.)

Restart, see if the problem is gone. If not, reinstall the MacOS from Recovery. Do not choose an option to format or erase the disk, choose the option reinstall the MacOS. This will not affect your files.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If none of the above works, the Etrecheck output may reveal the cause of the problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2022 9:44 PM in response to JeanSawada

First, make sure nothing (external drives, docks, hubs, printers ...) is connected to your Mac. Try again. Does the problem still occur?

If it does ...

Make sure you have a reliable backup (I usually make two backups).

DIagnostics:

Boot into Safe Mode

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

After booting into Safe Mode, shut down to see if it is fixed. If it works in Safe Mode, you have something installed that is conflicting. One way to track this down is to download and run Etrecheck and post the output using the Additional Text button below. You can check before posting -- no identifying information is included in the output. Etrecheck reveals all the additional extensions installed. Examples of things that can cause trouble include: anti-virus, security suites, "cleaning" apps, third party disk utilities, and the like. Do you have any of those installed.

If you still cannot shut down in Safe Mode, reset the SMC if your Mac supports it:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If this does not fix it, reset NVRAM (if your Mac supports it):

Then shut down to see if it cured the problem.

If not, boot into Recovery.

Run Disk Utility from there to perform First Aid and repair the disk's file system. (You may have already done this.)

Restart, see if the problem is gone. If not, reinstall the MacOS from Recovery. Do not choose an option to format or erase the disk, choose the option reinstall the MacOS. This will not affect your files.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

If none of the above works, the Etrecheck output may reveal the cause of the problem.

Jun 20, 2022 4:55 PM in response to steve626

I Solved!

I Booted using Command+R to enter the recovery mode and then on the terminal I disabled the SIP *csrutil disable*

Booted on the macOS and on the library/extensions folder I deleted the Extensions that I don't need anymore, I tried each one to see what was the .kext that was doing this, I discovered that was the hp_io_enabler_compound.kext that was causing this behavior.

Thanks!

iMac 5K Late 2015 Monterey 12.4 Kernel panic at shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.