Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.15.4 kernel panics daily

my iMac has started panic'ing daily the past two days. I tried to do a support phone call but it comes back saying this option is not available right now. This is a new-to-me refurbished iMac that I have only had like a month, but I think it is SW not HW related.

UGH - I finally got through to Apple Support and immediately she is telling me to re-install the OS - that is unacceptable - that is a Windows answer. I am very disappointed in Apple Support -- I've been a customer since Lisa's were out and am a computer engineer. This is the 2nd time in all those years I have had to call Apple Support, and to tell me to reinstall the OS and all my apps, etc. first answer is crazy. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2020 11:20 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

May 7, 2020 11:46 AM in response to karattopp

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the app's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the root of the problem.

May 7, 2020 12:28 PM in response to karattopp

The kernel panic started when your iMac tried to load these

com.wdc.driver.USB.64.10.9 1.0.1

com.symantec.ips.kext 9.0.2

com.symantec.nfm.kext 9.0.1

com.symantec.internetSecurity.kext 9.0.3

com.symantec.SymXIPS 9.0.1

The wdc.driver may be associated with a WD external drive? If you have a WD external unplug it and test.

Uninstall the Symantic AV software per the developers instructions and restart. Don't use AV software on a Mac, it only serves to cause problems.....like kernel panics. There are NO Mac viruses so AV software is less than useless.

May 7, 2020 12:52 PM in response to SeaPapp

Yes, I do have a WD raid drive attached. I have my TimeMachine back-ups directed there. I can try running without it attached for a bit. I did boot up in diag mode and diags run clean.

I've had the WD drive for years, this Mac is a month old but I did do a transfer from my old one when I got it, so I supposed it installed the WD driver from that. I sure didn't install it on the new Mac. I'll try removing it.

May 14, 2020 3:36 PM in response to SeaPapp

I will agree, many of the AV softwares have a tendency to cause problems, the whole, "NO Mac Viruses" is not accurate. Not only have I removed malware on occasion from a 10.x MacOS, but at one point I have removed a mac coded virus. The user was having a problem sending any email with an attachment. Looked at the server logs and Identified it was rejecting because of a virus coming from a Mac. It wasn't just a file that was innocuous to the mac, it was built for a mac, not Windows. Easy to remove because by having the identity of the virus (from server logs), it was easy to find documentation on manual removal. I mention this not to be argumentative, but people have a tendency to be more cavalier when they think they can't get infected, like installing warez, or getting click happy.

May 14, 2020 5:20 PM in response to Jose In AZ

There are no Mac viruses, items that are self replicating and don't need the users to allow it to install. It's different from malware and adware. Both rely on the user unknowingly clicking on some link to allow it to install

If you search these forums you'll find time and again topics where AV software has compromised system and application performance and removing it has returned the machines to original performance.

May 14, 2020 5:28 PM in response to SeaPapp

I'll just reply with this because I think it is getting into semantics. It was a macro virus, so once trigged, it was able to modify the infected system, and modify any office file to spread itself. I agree some malware is arguably a virus, by definition, but it can still be devastating to the user, so much that apple has acknowledged this by patching for it(10.6.4). So to say to say AV is less that useless is wrong.

10.15.4 kernel panics daily

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.