Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since performing a NVRAM reset, I’m getting kernel panics

Since later 2018, when I purchased my iMac, I have zero issues with it. It has performed perfectly. But recently I was having some sound issues. When I booted it I would have no sound but after messing with it I got the sound back. Well I decided to do a NVRAM reset. When I did it I got two kernel panics right away but the iMac did boot. Now I will get an occasional Kernel Panic and the system reboots. I then did an SMC reset. No difference. I have conducted another NVRAM but I’m still getting Kernel Panics with reboots. I did check the internal SSD and that is OK. When I reset NVRAM I get the one chime (added in the last OS update) but no other. I have held the keys for about 25 seconds. I always assumed I would boot after the second chime but I don’t get that so 25 seconds.

before calling Apple, I’m going to Run Hardware test. If that turned out OK, reinstall the OS (Monterey) then reinstall from a Time Machine back up.

I just don’t understand how the computer worked perfectly for 3 years and during a NVRAM reset the Kernel Panic problem came about. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I do a lot of Video/photo work on the computer.

Thanks

Jim K

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 4:12 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jan 25, 2022 9:03 AM in response to Skyking

Thanks for the report. Here are my observations/recommendations/questions:

• Hardware Information - 40 GB RAM: Is all this RAM the original RAM that came with your iMac?
  • Drives - External: I would second rkaufmann87's suggestion to temporarily disconnect all of these external drives during the troubleshooting process.
  • Clean up - I suggest that you follow the recommendation to remove the items listed under this section of the report.
  • Diagnostics Information - App crashes / kernel panics / High CPU Use: At this point, I would not be too concerned about any of the "app crashes" or "High CPU Use" items, but concentrate on the kernel panics. It appears that the culprit of the kernel panics is the third-party com.TrustedData.driver.

Jan 24, 2022 9:31 PM in response to Skyking

Just for future reference. If your Mac is experiencing kernel panics, I strongly suggest that you don't reset it NVRAM. That's because one of the duties of this reset it so delete stored panic reports. Instead, resetting the SMC would be the better choice.

Ref: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If you are able to get your Mac to boot up, I suggest that you consider running an EtreCheck report, and optionally post it here if you need assistance with interpreting its results. Be sure to enable "Full Disk Access" to get a complete report.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Jan 25, 2022 5:50 AM in response to Skyking

If you are still experiencing problems after following the excellent advice already posted, I would make the following suggestion.

• back up your data
  • perform a clean install of your MacOS
  • do not migrate any apps from your back up
  • use your Mac for a few days but only use the built-in apps
  • if after a few days you have no problems then install essential apps one at a time with a test period before you install the next.
  • if the previous problem returns you will know it is being caused by the last app installed and can uninstall it.

In general avoid installing ‘maintenance’ or anti-virus apps as MacOS doesn’t need it.

Jan 24, 2022 7:10 PM in response to Skyking

Thanks so much for the replay. No, I have no antivirus installed. The only third party installed and running in the back ground is Tech Tool and Drive Genius. No other third party software. I do have several external drives attached such as a DROBO, OMC Raid, etc. The other thing that bothers me is that when I do the PRAM reset I don’t really get the iMac restarting (second chime). Tomorrow I’m going to unplug all the external drives and try another PRAM reset to see if I get the second restart of the OS.

As you also suggested I’ll try starting in Safe Mode. I’ll let you know how that works.

Thanks again

Jim

Jan 25, 2022 5:24 AM in response to Tesserax

I have that app and will run it this morning and post the results. Hopefully it will lead to what is causing the issue. As I stated at the beginning, When I did the PRAM, I got one chime but not two just a black screen. When I lifted my fingers I experienced two KP’s right away then the system finally booted. This was a first for me. Again, in three years since new I have never had an issue with the iMac. Again, I post the results.

Jan 25, 2022 8:22 AM in response to Skyking

Your problem cause might be one of the external peripherals connected to the the iMac. If it is a peripheral then testing is tedious but should be done. To test you will need to disconnect all external peripherals, then add one, do a thorough test to see if the original problem is replicated and if it is not then you know the peripheral you have added into your system is okay, then add another peripheral and retest again. Rinse and repeat until you find the offending peripheral.

Jan 25, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Tesserax

Thats for the advice. I did run the system in Safe Mode and had no issues. I spent quite amount of time transferring files between external drives. Com.trustedData.driver is associated with the DROBO drive. I’m going to look for that file and delete it. I believe it was associated with the DROBO dashboard which I quit running a while back as it didn’t work.

OK also on the clean up. You asked about the RAM. 8 gigs came with the iMac, I added 32 gigs from OWC. Funny however, the first ram I got from OWC did cause KP’s. I had it replaced and have no issues with that RAM in three years. So I discounted the added ram. Again, this KP issues just started when I did a PRAM reset.

I ran in safe mode for quite a while. I transferred some large files from one external drive to the DROBO and another external drive with no issues. So it would appear running in Safe mode was OK. None of the externals caused an issue. But again, I’ll take your advise but I think I’ll get rid of the TrustedDate.driver first.

Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2022 10:17 AM in response to Skyking

Skyking wrote:

OK also on the clean up. You asked about the RAM. 8 gigs came with the iMac, I added 32 gigs from OWC. Funny however, the first ram I got from OWC did cause KP’s. I had it replaced and have no issues with that RAM in three years. So I discounted the added ram.

Yes, I agree, I don't think it is a RAM issue either. FWIW, I have never had any issue with RAM from OWC.

I ran in safe mode for quite a while. I transferred some large files from one external drive to the DROBO and another external drive with no issues. So it would appear running in Safe mode was OK.

As I'm sure you are already aware, running your Mac in Safe Mode, disables all third-party drivers/extensions, amongst other things. This alone may verify that one of those is the culprit ... and, potentially, specifically the TrustedData driver.

Jan 26, 2022 3:03 PM in response to Tesserax

Just an update. I first uninstalled any DROBO software which is not needed to use the device. The next thing I did was disconnect all external devices. I then fired up the iMac to reset the NVRAM again. The big difference this time is it actually worked. Holding the keys at the beginning (first chime), then continued to hold the keys until the second chime meaning the computer re-booted. At the second chime and reboot I let up on the keys and the Mac booted normally. OK, I have used the Mac on an off for a couple of days with no issues. No Kernel panics or other issues.

When I first tried doing the NVRAM reset, I never got the reboot (or the second chime). I tried a few times with the same result. I just let up and let the Mac boot. Due to the external devices I probably needed to hold the keys for a much longe time. As crazy as it sounds I’m thinking in not totally clearing the NVRAM something got corrupted that the Kernel or OS needed. After a successful NVRAM reboot every seems to be running OK; However time will tell.

Thanks to you and the others for All your help in resolving this issues. I’ve been using Mac’s for a long time and this is a new one on me.

Jim

Since performing a NVRAM reset, I’m getting kernel panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.