Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Liquid exposure in MacBook Pro

9 days ago, I spilled liquid mixture (mostly water and some fruity liquid with sugar) all over my Mac (2019 Pro 15") from the left of the Mac. I wanted to keep it shut down when the spill happened but I accidentally kept turning it on because I must have been pressing a key while trying to wipe down water, carrying it around and putting it upside-down ( I hate how this version mac boots when pressing any button on the keyboard!!). On the same day, with my friend's help, I opened up and got rid of any moisture inside where the board and battery are and also wiped out like 2 corrosions (left side of the board) with alcohol. Then, I had it upside-down for a week without using, and when I finally turned it on 2 days ago, I found out the two left type-c usb ports were not working (I also had water inside on the left side of the screen, but it evaporated quite a bit with leaving some dotted marks). So, I opened up to see if there were any more corrosions or if I could just replace the usb-c board, but found out the area below left usb-c board was smoked. Cleaned the area with alcohol again, and I just decided to use it without the left usb-c's.

So, everything seems to be working perfectly fine, except the battery is draining really fast on battery power, and I assume it's because of the short circuit on the board where it was burnt? If only a portion of the circuit is damaged like that, will it eventually cause the board to die?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 12:34 PM

It's best to get a professional opinion on this, so take it to an Apple store/Genius Bar - electronics and liquids to not mix. Note that Apple may refuse to work on it once they see that you opened it.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 20, 2022 12:46 PM in response to kookakoo

babowa is correct. The newest gen MacBook Pro's are not user serviceable, so opening it yourself may be cause for refusing service on the device. But only Apple can tell you directly, so schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar and let them tell you your options. Be prepared to spend some money here, up to and including buying a new computer.

Liquid exposure in MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.