Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macos catalina file sharing tick box will not select or turn on

Just updated 2 Macs to Catalina and I'm having the same issue on both.

I don't use file sharing much but I needed to on this occasion.

On the iMac I went to the File Sharing Control Panel and when I clicked file sharing to turn it on, it doesn't select, and there also isn't anything in the 'Shared Folders'or 'Users' boxes to the right.

On the MBA I have the same issue but there are the normal Public Folders in the Shared Folders box, no users though

I've looked around online but non of the solutions work.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 1:04 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 21, 2022 12:20 PM in response to co1indarby

Update to this:

I reinstalled the OS as described above and it solved the problem.

However after logging in, I was immediately asked to install security update 2022-004 10.15.7 1.59gb

After doing this the problem returned.

So that's the reason in my case - it's this security update that's caused the problem.

Doing some searching on this security update I found this:

https://discussions-cn-prz.apple.com/en/thread/253909534

Which gives a terminal command that does turn file sharing on (I've checked that this does work on my other Mac - it sees the other Mac on the network)

However it's not really a fix as you now can't turn file sharing off, instead of being unresponsive to click on, it's now unresponsive to click off.

Logic suggests (but I haven't tested it) that you could run this command now, and not go through the process of reinstalling the OS like I did.

This is an absolute mess on Apple's part - so let's hope that Apple knows this and issues a fix in the future.

macos catalina file sharing tick box will not select or turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.