Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not send messages on message.app

G'day,

I have suddenly trouble with messages.app. It worked all the time but out pop the blue it stopped working.

I can send and receive text messages on my iPhone. Messages sent from my phone will be display on messages.app. When I send a message on message.app the message will not be sent, I get an error. The message will not show up on my phone.

I have logged in and out of messages

I have logged in and out of icloud on my Mac

I have restarted the machine

I have temporary deleted the .plist files of messenger.app

Nothing helps. Any ideas?

Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 5:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2022 7:50 PM

Try going through this checklist. The settings must be correct on both the iPhone and Mac.

Messages checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2022 7:50 PM in response to Bernhard Walzl

Try going through this checklist. The settings must be correct on both the iPhone and Mac.

Messages checklist

iPhone and Mac both logged in to same Apple ID. Try logging off and logging on if necessary.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows iMessage as "on" (sometimes toggling this off and then on fixes some things)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send & Receive showing both phone number and email (Apple ID)

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Text Message Forwarding and your Mac is listed and shown as "on" there.

iPhone Settings => Messages shows Send as SMS "on" and MMS Messaging and Group Messaging both "on"

On the Mac: Messages => Preferences shows same and correct Apple ID and "You can be reached for messages at" indicates both phone number and Apple ID (email), and "start new conversations from" indicates the phone number.

* Don't see the Text Message Forwarding setting on your iPhone? Go to Settings > Messages, turn off iMessage, turn it back on, tap Send & Receive, tap Use Your Apple ID for iMessage, then sign in with the same Apple ID used on your other devices.

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Jun 21, 2022 10:21 AM in response to steve626

yes, i tried this all, no change. I toggled, waited a little toggled back. I can send on the phone but not on the mac. I can receive on both. Messages sent from the phone will be displayed on the mac.

edit: this had effects! messages are sent now but i dont see "delivered" in messages.app on the mac. I do see it however on the phone.

I toggled a few times the read receipts but that didn't do the trick!

Can not send messages on message.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.