Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

INSTALLING ITUNES ON WINDOWS 11

Hi, just a quickie. I have seen some interesting posts here about running iTunes with Windows 11.

I have just bought a W11 laptop and am expecting it in a few days, can you tell me which is the lowest version of iTunes that works on W11?

on W10 I know that only 12.10.10.2 and 12.12.1.1 work without extra downloads. So can you tell me if either of these is compatible with W11 or if 12.12.4.1 will need the iPod Support Service downloading?

My apologies if it seems like I am rambling.

Thks

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 6:42 AM

Hi there,

That's actually a good question.

I personally would recommend using the most recent version of iTunes.

The easiest way is to download it from the Microsoft Store.

But if you want to use an older version you could look at this page.

Apple - Support - Downloads

9 replies

Jun 21, 2022 12:38 PM in response to ShortExtent

Be aware that with iTunes 12.10.11 (and possibly 12.12.1.1) will not be able to do anything with an device using iOS 15. You will need the later version.

I think every new version of iTunes gets knocked by someone. I've seen the same for many other apps. Rarely do we see any praise for iTunes and yet it does deserve it.

If you want to use the version of iTunes direct from Apple (which is very slightly different to the Microsoft version), go to this page: iTunes - Apple and scroll down below the Get it from Microsoft link to the very small text that says Looking for other versions? MacOS > Windows >

Jun 22, 2022 8:36 AM in response to ShortExtent

ShortExtent wrote:

I'm just a little miffed about the latest version on their website. That they would release it like that - obviously for some reason.

You make it sound as though Apple have deliberately offered (for download) an incomplete version of iTunes. I have used (and updated) iTunes for many years and I have never had a missing iPod Support Service message or found a need to download and install any additional files (and yes, I do use iPods). I have seen discussions here about it, but as far as I'm concerned, any failure of the iPod Support Service is a bug, not a feature.

Can I suggest that you look on the optimistic side and go ahead with the latest version of iTunes when your new computer arrives, in the expectation that everything will work as it's supposed to? If you do experience problems, start new discussion describing the symptoms you are experiencing, not what you think the problem is. If you make up your mind about the cause of the issue, before anyone has a chance to help you, you are very unlikely to get to the root of the problem.

In the meantime, here's a link to an old discussion regarding the iPod Support Service: Ipod support service is not installed - Apple Community. There is a link in the discussion, from user tt2, to a troubleshooting guide that he has written. However, from what you say, you have not yet had the problem, so as previously mentioned, don't assume that you have a problem before you even begin.

The link to iTunes is: iTunes - Apple. On that page is a link to the Microsoft Store version of iTunes, but if you scroll down to beneath the picture of the laptop, you will find a link in very small text, to Looking for other versions? MacOS > Windows>. I use the Windows "other version", not the Microsoft Store version.

Jun 21, 2022 6:57 AM in response to ImMartijn

Hi. Thank you for the advice. I check out iTunes in the MS Store and see the rating is 2.7 with 1 being the most popular rating. That is disappointing esp for a company like Apple but I see there is W11 advice there as well.

I may very well give the store a go on my W10 machine to see what it is like but as you say will pick the latest version and see how it goes. For the moment thank you.

Jun 22, 2022 8:02 AM in response to ImMartijn

Hi ImMartijn - It seems I have the time to try the version in the Microsoft store so I'll certainly give it a go despite the naysayers. Another advantage is that it is easier to get than from the apple website.

My disappointment comes because I have copies of 4 different versions I have tried in the past and only two are complete -that is they include support for the IPOID Support service. I think that includes the latest 12.12.4.1 but i recall that it does prompt for that when you try to sync an iPod.

Jun 22, 2022 8:07 AM in response to the fiend

Hi fiend. I think I mentioned to someone else that the latest version is one of those that are missing the iPod SUpport service that does get downloaded when you try to sync for the first time. while I have the time I am going to try the Microsoft store version just out of curiosity at least. I'm just a little miffed about the latest version on their website. That they would release it like that - obviously for some reason.

Jun 22, 2022 10:09 AM in response to the fiend

Hi there and thank you for trying to help. Happily I am very familiar with the works of turintest2. He has been of great help to me in the past. And I would not dare suggest that the problem with the IPOD Support service was a feature. I am familiar with bugs as well. Especially having 30 years of expertise with IT application support. In the 80's are mantra was "get it right first time". Sadly now that Steve is no longer with us it is long forgotten.

Also, since the IPOD has had its day , I can take the problem in my stride.

Now that my new laptop is up and running I will give the app in the MS Store a test and if that holds up , I will be a happy man. Else I will stick with the latest version from the website.

Thank you once again for being an epic moderator.

Jul 4, 2022 1:37 AM in response to ShortExtent

From what I've read, the Microsoft Store version of iTunes does not tell you which version is actually installed. However, if you are running 12.11.0.26 you should be able to click on iTunes' top bar menu and select Help/Check for Updates which will take you to (and install) the latest version (which today, is still 12.12.4.1).

Since five of the last seven updates have security aspects to them, I strongly suggest that you update to the latest version.

INSTALLING ITUNES ON WINDOWS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.