Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If icloud is used to store my photos, why do i keep running out of iphone storage space? I have PLENTY of icloud storage available, but my phone is out of storage. What do i do to fix this?

How do i free up space on my phone? I have TONS of icloud storage available. I thought icloud was used to automatically store photos, so why do they use phone storage instead of icloud storage?

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 5:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 8:26 AM

Do you have "Optimize iPhone Storage" turned on for Photos? See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you need more device storage

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. To save storage space on your device, you can turn on Optimize Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2022 8:26 AM in response to JakePinholster

Do you have "Optimize iPhone Storage" turned on for Photos? See the following from Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

If you need more device storage

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. To save storage space on your device, you can turn on Optimize Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

If icloud is used to store my photos, why do i keep running out of iphone storage space? I have PLENTY of icloud storage available, but my phone is out of storage. What do i do to fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.