Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari crashes when I click the "Manage Website Data" button under Privacy

I am trying to clear certain (if not all) website data from Safari. Normally this process is achieved by going to Preferences > Privacy then clicking "Manage Website Data". But the moment I click that button, Safari crashes hard and a system crash report is generated.

In macOS Monterey, the option to "Reset Safari" no longer exists. I've tried purging every Safari folder or com.apple.safari item under ~/Library, but despite that, I am still logged in to sites when I reboot indicating that there is still website stored somewhere, and I'm stuck at the same problem.

I've tried booting in Safe Mode, and I've even tried re-installing macOS, and the crashing problem persists when I click "Manage Website Data." The only thing I haven't done (and would like to avoid) is erase my Mac and start from scratch, not restoring from a backup.

The crash log indicates the thread that crashed is com.apple.Safari.TrackingDataController. But I can't seem to actually do anything with that.

Does anyone know how I can manually (aka, via command line) completely wipe ***all*** Safari data from my machine and start over?

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 4:59 PM

Apple is unaware of this issue. We went thought the basic troubleshooting steps and I was able to reproduce the issue with them observing my screen. The issue does not occur on a new user account, only my existing user account. They offered two solutions: 1) create a new user account and start over from there, or 2) erase my Mac, not restoring from a Time Machine backup, and start over.

Erasing the Mac to fix an inconvenient bug in Safari is like trying to kill a house fly with a thermonuclear device. I wish Apple would give their users better tools to fix problems other than, "Erase everything and start over." That's not a good solution, it's just that it's the only solution.

I think I'd rather just permanently switch to FireFox.

Marking as Solved with the following solution: use user-friendly software.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2022 4:59 PM in response to John Galt

Apple is unaware of this issue. We went thought the basic troubleshooting steps and I was able to reproduce the issue with them observing my screen. The issue does not occur on a new user account, only my existing user account. They offered two solutions: 1) create a new user account and start over from there, or 2) erase my Mac, not restoring from a Time Machine backup, and start over.

Erasing the Mac to fix an inconvenient bug in Safari is like trying to kill a house fly with a thermonuclear device. I wish Apple would give their users better tools to fix problems other than, "Erase everything and start over." That's not a good solution, it's just that it's the only solution.

I think I'd rather just permanently switch to FireFox.

Marking as Solved with the following solution: use user-friendly software.

Jun 22, 2022 11:30 AM in response to iTim2009

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities, iTim2009,

If Safari is unexpectedly quitting when you try to clear the website data, we would suggest seeing if the issue persists after turning off the "Prevent cross-site tracking" setting in Safari Preferences: Prevent cross-site tracking in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If the issue persists after that, we'd recommend getting in touch with Apple Support directly here: Get Support.

Have a good day.

Jun 23, 2022 9:16 AM in response to iTim2009

Post the crash log, although I seriously doubt it will reveal any actionable information. You may need to use the "additional text" icon below:

You already did everything reasonable in an effort to solve the problem, and more. I encourage you to contact Apple: Get Support. It's an unusual problem, which means their engineers might actually be interested in taking an active part in tracking it down.

Jun 22, 2022 7:06 PM in response to iTim2009

Given your description and everything you tried, I suspect something is amiss with some obscure Safari setting in iCloud. Those settings are obviously not saved on your Mac, which is the reason purging every Safari folder and Safari-related file didn't help.

Open (Apple menu) > System Preferences... > Apple ID

Under Apps on this Mac using iCloud, find Safari. Assuming it is already selected, de-select it. Test.

Jun 23, 2022 10:11 AM in response to iTim2009

The report bears all the markings of defective software. It's unusual since I have not heard of Safari crashing under the circumstances you describe, but not many people know about "Manage Website Data" or what it's for.

Please let me know what Apple has to say. I strongly suspect they will take an active interest in your concern, and will pass the crash report along to Engineering. Then, things will appear to fall into a black hole. You will hear nothing from them, and you may conclude you're being ignored, but it's nearly certain they will quietly incorporate a fix and release it in a future macOS update. That may take weeks or months so be patient.

Safari crashes when I click the "Manage Website Data" button under Privacy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.