Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reposted original question - How to ZOOM with Apple Mail App.

Apple mail app, how do I Increase (zoom in) displayed text size (not font).

My wife (a Mac book air user) has been struggling with the mail compose window. I have tried to find a way of increasing the size of the displayed text without increasing the font size, which changes the size of the text for the recipient. I've searched the forums with no luck, finally resorting to calling Apple support again today but there doesn't seem to be a solution. Has anyone resolved this issue? Why don't Apple address the issue?

Just to make sure I wasn't going mad, I checked in Thunderbird on my Ubuntu Linux machine and on my work PC running Windows 10 and using Outlook, no problem. I can zoom in and out with Command opt + and - (ctrl+alt on Linux/Windows of course). Is it time to give up on Apple mail software and install Thunderbird, it seems far better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 6, 2021 7:40 AM

Reply  I have this question too

-------

I have noted that going to system settings, accessibility - Zoom Full screen then OptCommand +/- zooms in the whole window. By the response from apple it looks like Mail Cannot zoom in the mail writing window without making fonts 24 point.

So you say, that Thunderbird works better?

thanks

dan

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 21, 2022 8:49 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jun 22, 2022 2:26 AM in response to dmz33

In the Apple Mail specific to your question.

With the Window for Composing in Focus, use the two keyboards COMMAND and Plus sign ( + ) to increase Viewing Size. It does not change the Font Size, say from point 12 to point 36. It just increased the Appearance and not in more.

To reverse this to Normal Default size, Command Minus ( -)

These same command combinations and be use almost System Wide

Jun 22, 2022 3:51 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for your response. But in my Mail app with the reply window open and in focus, hitting command and + or command and - just increase the font if the text is highlighted. Otherwise it does not zoom or do any thing that I can see other than highlight the "format" menu item. Looking into the format menu option I see that command and + or - increase the font size, but not the view of the font.

Maybe it just can't do it. But generally, yes, command plus and minus increase the viewable size of the font, but not in mail.

strange?

Jun 22, 2022 6:43 PM in response to PRP_53

Yes, I believe I see the discrepancy. If command + is used while reading emails and the email is selected, (single click) the font will grow in size with each press of the Plus key if command is held down. This holds true if you double click the email as well. However if you "reply" to the email, the command + does not affect the size of the file. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

Also as the reply below mentions rich text and plain text formats, I've changed to plain text and "use same message format as the original message" and restarted Mail. Same issue. Also it's relatively easy to use command option +/- to fill the reply email window to a size that is easily readable.

I'll leave it in plain text to confirm that the recipient doesn't get jumbo fonts on my replys.

Jun 23, 2022 1:52 AM in response to dmz33

Good work and your part 👍

As mentioned by @Luis S. - the Recipient e-mail Client will render e-mail how every they have set up their e-mail client.

As example only, my wife is using an ancient Windows -e-Mail Client on Windows 10. I use MacOS 12.4 and Apple Mail Client using Rich Type with a 12 point font.

When I send her an e-mail and it is received by her, the font is rendered so small she will have to enlarge the Viewing.

I look at it and swear the font size was sent a 12 point but the Client Application decides otherwise.

reposted original question - How to ZOOM with Apple Mail App.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.