Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I download pics from iPhoto to MacBk Pro desktop file I see an icon & not a pic as always. Can open icon in Preview. How can I change it so that I open the file and see pics, not icons for the pics?

I have always been able to download photos from iPhoto on my MacBk Pro to a file on my desktop and then see the pictures in the file. Now when I download I see an icon which can be opened one at a time in Preview so the pictures are downloading.

I want to open the file and see all the pictures in the file. I don't want to see icons for the photos.

I have restarted the computer. I have tried dragging the photo to the file and I have gone through the "downloading" process in IPhoto. I have tried opening a new library. I have closed and opened iPhoto numerous times. Last night I successfully downloaded many pictures as normal and saw pictures in the file. This morning all see is icons for the pictures and no one had access to the computer between these experiences.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 7:56 AM

9 replies

Jun 23, 2022 10:11 AM in response to sgsfromstarkville

You mean you want to see the pictures in finder, not in preview?

You need to change the view in finder, using the view icons

If you choose the icon view, (4 squares) you can also increase the size of the images you see using CMD+ . I can get them as large as this:

Or you can use the column view and then each selected image is shown with its info like this:

Jun 23, 2022 12:27 PM in response to léonie

I am running Photo. I ran iPhoto for so long that iPhone is my automatic response.

This what the icon looks like so I assume it's JPEG. How would I check to verify it isn't raw?

I just discovered that older file folders on my desktop containing pictures that before I could see when the file was opened now show up the same as the picture above.

Thank you for your suggestions. Any more ideas?

Jun 23, 2022 10:24 AM in response to sgsfromstarkville

Are you really running iPhoto on macOS 12 Big Sur and not Photos? iPhoto is no longer supported and you should not rely on a patched iPhoto version, unless for trouble shooting. It may be causing all kinds of problems.

As for seeing icons instead of previews, it may be depending on the file format. Are your images RAW or JPEGs? JPEGs will typically show an image preview, while RAW files will need third party tools, like RAW Right Away.

When I download pics from iPhoto to MacBk Pro desktop file I see an icon & not a pic as always. Can open icon in Preview. How can I change it so that I open the file and see pics, not icons for the pics?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.