Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t set my HomePod minis as the default Audio Output

Hello,

i recently bought 2 HomePod Mini's for my Apple TV but somehow i am not able to set them as default audio output. They are paired as stereo speakers.

Navigation sounds (even while activated) are also not playing.

Is this something only working with the latest Apple TV 4k? I do have the 4th generation HD (A1625).

I also tried to set the default audio device through HomeKit on my iPhone but there is no such option.

Going under settings for Audio on the Apple TV it self it only says "TV speakers" on default but i can't change it to the HomePod's.

I am running the latest software on all devices. I restarted them several times too.

Posted on Jun 23, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 10:40 PM

I see and I get why you’d like the default audio setting. I’m not the biggest fan of that setting , it causes quite a few issues. I keep disabling it, then will put it back, only for another update to come along and mess it all up again.

As to your navigation clicks you can try restarting Apple TV (maybe toggle the clicks off, restart then toggle back on) or pair the Siri remote again: If your Apple TV remote isn't working - Apple Support. See if that helps at all.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2022 10:40 PM in response to romu85

I see and I get why you’d like the default audio setting. I’m not the biggest fan of that setting , it causes quite a few issues. I keep disabling it, then will put it back, only for another update to come along and mess it all up again.

As to your navigation clicks you can try restarting Apple TV (maybe toggle the clicks off, restart then toggle back on) or pair the Siri remote again: If your Apple TV remote isn't working - Apple Support. See if that helps at all.

Jun 25, 2022 4:26 AM in response to Vancouver22

Well. The HomePods are working with my Apple TV. The problem is basically that sometimes the sound is gone because after using Siri for example it then starts playing media from external sources and as soon as I then switch back to Apple TV i will first have to set the speakers again to temp. HomePods. It’s quiet annoying but seems like there is nothing you can do instead or buying a new Apple TV. The navigation click sounds (even if activated) also don’t work, can’t hear them through the HomePods while navigating inside Apple TV.

best regards

Jun 26, 2022 2:40 AM in response to Vancouver22

Thank's a lot for your kind help.

Navigation clicks are only played through the TV's default speakers even after I only activated the HomePods in the audio output. However the default audio output setting can't be changed to anything else than the TV speakers. So maybe thats why.

I have already reset the Apple TV several times but it won't make a difference.

Overall using the HomePods as the Audio System in connection with my current Apple TV makes more like a beta impression to me at best. I am not sure if buying a new Apple TV will improve the whole experience.

I am setting it up for my father so he won't need to use 3 different remote controls to consume all his music, radio, video and television without having to constantly switch back and forth but so far it makes it even worse.

It should simply play all sound through the HomePods no matter what he will start on the Apple TV or tell Siri to play. I mean that's why i bought them...

I can’t set my HomePod minis as the default Audio Output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.