Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is photo uploading almost non-functional?

I'm finding I am continually frustrated with the photo upload. At least it now uploads without wifi. (We're in a rural area. We used to have limited monthly bandwidth and, at the time, my iPhone would not upload photos without wifi - it cost me money!) But whenever I take a a fair number of photos or videos, I find that it's either not uploading them or uploading VERY SLOWLY. I've had 79% power in the battery readout and I got, "Paused uploading to save battery power." At 79%? Really? And countless times I find uploading is paused to save cellular bandwidth.

If I have any videos I've taken, it can take hours to upload them to iCloud. Often I have photos I need for work in the evening. I get home and get to my iMac about 9 at night and check my photos. Even ones I've taken 4-5 hours ago are not on my iMac and not in the iCloud. I've had nights where it takes to between 2-3 AM to upload photos and videos that were taken before 6 PM. I may have, sometimes, as many as 5 videos or a dozen photos and it can still take until 3 AM for my iPhone to upload them because the process is so pathetically slow. (And that's on wifi, now that we have good internet.)

Is there any way to fix this or is this one of those things where Apple has said, "We know what's right and the customer shouldn't be able to change it because they don't know how to?"

iPhone 8

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 7:20 AM

Syncing photos to iCloud requires internet either over Cellular or over WiFi. Please check the internet speed at your end.

For fast Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 7:20 AM in response to HalNineThousand

Syncing photos to iCloud requires internet either over Cellular or over WiFi. Please check the internet speed at your end.

For fast Internet connection.

• Over Cellular: contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider). The agency who issued the SIM to you
  • Over WiFI: Contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider), the agency who provided the Internet Service on your Modem/Router to you

However --> Connect iPhone to the Internet - Apple Support

Jun 24, 2022 11:38 AM in response to SravanKrA

I've gone through all the suggestions I've seen online and seen no difference. As for my carrier - well, now we get into the, "It's not Apple's fault, it's Verizon's." Then I call Verizon and get, "It's not our fault, it's Apple's." Plus I use a VPN on my phone a lot of the time. Happens with and without the VPN.

I pointed out that this happens on cell and wifi. I'm using a VPN on wifi going through an ISP known not to shape or throttle traffic. So either both Verizon or Starlink are using DPI and have somehow broken the encryption on my VPN services or the problem comes down to the common element in all situations: Apple.

The link is about connecting to cellular internet or wifi. Done both, that's how I could test both.

I've noticed there is clearly some kind of throttling, since videos take forever. I suspect that's in iOS to keep cell providers from complaining about bandwidth usage or something like that.

Why is photo uploading almost non-functional?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.