Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data transfer from old to new iPhone lost data of some apps

I bought a new iPhone 13 Pro Max, and I used data transfer to copy data in my old iPhone to the new one while initializing the device. When finishing the transferring, I erased all content and settings on my old iPhone. But when I use the new phone, I found that the used storage is far less than used storage on my old phone, and some important data of some specific apps have been lost.

Is this a normal thing or something may be wrong? Should data transfer function transfer all data from my old iPhone to the new one?

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 3:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 6:57 AM

yqqqq wrote:

Should data transfer function transfer all data from my old iPhone to the new one?

Yes.

Though it is not clear how you are doing the transfer, I have this to say...

If you have already set up the new iPhone then the data created during this period will be lost if you use any of the three processes given below

iPhone to iPhone, there are three ways,

1. Quick Transfer --> Use QuickStart to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod ...
  2. Restore from iCloud Backup --> Restore or set up your device from an iCloud backup - Apple ...
  3. Restore from iTunes backup --> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC ...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 6:57 AM in response to yqqqq

yqqqq wrote:

Should data transfer function transfer all data from my old iPhone to the new one?

Yes.

Though it is not clear how you are doing the transfer, I have this to say...

If you have already set up the new iPhone then the data created during this period will be lost if you use any of the three processes given below

iPhone to iPhone, there are three ways,

1. Quick Transfer --> Use QuickStart to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod ...
  2. Restore from iCloud Backup --> Restore or set up your device from an iCloud backup - Apple ...
  3. Restore from iTunes backup --> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in iTunes on PC ...

Jun 24, 2022 6:57 AM in response to yqqqq

Depending on the internet speed all apps will get downloaded from the App Store automatically. Apps don't transfer from iPhone to iPhone, only the app data along with app links to the App Store gets transferred.

Apps & Settings --> Apart from the Apps following will also not get transferred.

1. Content from the iTunes and App Stores or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  2. Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  3. Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  4. Face ID or Touch ID settings
  5. Apple Pay information and settings
  6. Apple Mail data
  7. Apple Music

Jun 24, 2022 8:14 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you SravanKrA.

I know that Apps don't transfer from iPhone to iPhone, only the app data along with app links to the App Store gets transferred. The problem is that some app data wasn't been transferred😂 I did nothing when transferring. I just clicked the transfer button, and waited until the transferring process got finished, and then I lost data😂 because I erase the old iPhone, and I didn't back them up on my mac or icloud 😭

Anyway, it seems that my data cannot be found back. I just chalk this one up to experience.

Thank you for you reply!

Data transfer from old to new iPhone lost data of some apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.