Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

see unknown apple tv names network; AirPlay vs. Screen Mirroring; Connect LG TV to Macbook Pro on newest version of Monterey

see unknown apple tv names network - Apple Community

I don't know what I'm doing, someone please help.

I can make it down to the bottom of this thread, but I am the one who keeps typing in random numbered passwords on my apartment neighbors Apple TVs.

I do this everyday unfortunately, because I still cannot figure out how to consistently make my LG Smart TV connect to my Macbook Pro on Monterey. So yes, help with that too because I read so many of these forums everyday to still not have one consistent method that is easy to remember.

1.) How do I take these random multiple Apple TVs off my options for Screen Mirroring?

2.) Is it possible that I could have saved my LG smart TV so that it comes up as an Apple TV on accident? /How would I fix this if I did?

3.) Is there a difference between Airplay and Screen Mirroring for someone who is seriously just trying to make these two devices see the same screen???

Because my LG TV does have AirPlay. So does my Macbook Pro. It should not be this hard for someone multiple degrees (not bragging, just saying I could be viewed as slightly above the average Joe, and if I can't figure it out, there are more people who can't either that would have given up before me because I truly can't keep doing this everyday)

Yes, both devices are on the same network, have been updated, restarted multiple times, I've literally done everything I can find on the web without asking for additional help (to my knowledge) I just really need help ASAP!! :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 3:30 PM

1.) How do I take these random multiple Apple TVs off my options for Screen Mirroring?

You can’t. Your neighbors can, by changing their settings to only allow devices from their own home network, and not allow other nearby devices [1]. When they do that, then it wouldn’t show for you.

2.) Is it possible that I could have saved my LG smart TV so that it comes up as an Apple TV on accident? /How would I fix this if I did?

The list of AirPlay receiving devices in your vicinity, lists each by its name. Try to remember the name of your TV. I don’t have an LG, so I wouldn’t know if this AirPlay device name is easily user-editable in the TV settings, to something more unique/​personalized. I would expect that the default name has the model number in it. How to use AirPlay & what LG TVs support AirPlay 2 - LG Support

3.) Is there a difference between Airplay and Screen Mirroring for someone who is seriously just trying to make these two devices see the same screen???

Yes there is a difference, but Apple tries to unify it as one indistinguishable service (so that the difference doesn’t matter).

- Basic AirPlay is a non-mirroring in-app function to forward any current stream/video/audio. On Macs, this is available in the TV app, in QuickTime Player, and for Safari web video. (Not in third party apps.)

- Screen Mirroring, well, mirrors the screen, as a new local stream. It is not in-app, but system wide. This involves live screen capture, and thus a re-encode. [For Macs, the TV as second screen is also available, like mirroring a virtual screen.]

my LG TV does have AirPlay.

List of AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs - Apple

Then it has Settings for AirPlay, including an on|off switch. How to use AirPlay & what LG TVs support AirPlay 2 - LG Support

It may require that the smart TV gets added to the Home app as a HomeKit/​AirPlay 2 device. Add a HomeKit accessory to the Home app - Apple Support. Then assign it to a named room in the Home app.

Use AirPlay to stream what’s on your Mac to an HDTV - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2022 3:30 PM in response to helpSOSOS

You can’t. Your neighbors can, by changing their settings to only allow devices from their own home network, and not allow other nearby devices [1]. When they do that, then it wouldn’t show for you.

The list of AirPlay receiving devices in your vicinity, lists each by its name. Try to remember the name of your TV. I don’t have an LG, so I wouldn’t know if this AirPlay device name is easily user-editable in the TV settings, to something more unique/​personalized. I would expect that the default name has the model number in it. How to use AirPlay & what LG TVs support AirPlay 2 - LG Support

Yes there is a difference, but Apple tries to unify it as one indistinguishable service (so that the difference doesn’t matter).

- Basic AirPlay is a non-mirroring in-app function to forward any current stream/video/audio. On Macs, this is available in the TV app, in QuickTime Player, and for Safari web video. (Not in third party apps.)

- Screen Mirroring, well, mirrors the screen, as a new local stream. It is not in-app, but system wide. This involves live screen capture, and thus a re-encode. [For Macs, the TV as second screen is also available, like mirroring a virtual screen.]

my LG TV does have AirPlay.

List of AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs - Apple

Then it has Settings for AirPlay, including an on|off switch. How to use AirPlay & what LG TVs support AirPlay 2 - LG Support

It may require that the smart TV gets added to the Home app as a HomeKit/​AirPlay 2 device. Add a HomeKit accessory to the Home app - Apple Support. Then assign it to a named room in the Home app.

Use AirPlay to stream what’s on your Mac to an HDTV - Apple Support

Jun 24, 2022 3:48 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I found the issue 🤦🏼‍♀️ It was conveniently at the time of all of Apple things needing updates, and thus everything else needing to update since there was coincidentally a big Apple Event recently. And I know just barely enough to know if places start running out of apple products is because they are about to get a large shipment with newer and cooler apple products. I just never had this issue affect me at a worse time when I was at a massive time crunch. So yes after I did finally update everything and turn everything on and off/unplug the tv. It all worked again. 🎉🙃

Jun 25, 2022 8:40 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hey, I just tried to submit another comment but got stuck on the loading icon for almost 30 minutes, so I hit refresh and lost the comment. So, I apologize if it really did already post because I cannot see it on my end.

I know you said you don't have an LG TV, but with the knowledge, you do have.... do you know if it would be possible for my TV and Macbook Pro automatically connect through Bluetooth and that's what's causing the repeated confusion for why this keeps being harder than it needs to?

I went through the steps I could have sworn I took yesterday to make it work after I thought I solved the problem. Then I went through the checklist you provided yesterday before reaching back out.

As always, any and all help would be appreciated :)

see unknown apple tv names network; AirPlay vs. Screen Mirroring; Connect LG TV to Macbook Pro on newest version of Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.