Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 13" Macbook Pro trackpad intermittent working

On my 13" MacBook Pro 7,1 I recently updated OSX from El Cap to High Sierra 10.13.6, which is as high as this MBP will go. The laptop functions very well, except for one recent oddity with the trackpad which started only with the move to High Sierra. If I am reading a long article or if I leave the laptop for a few minutes, the cursor will not move the page up or down, but the arrow will move where I send it. At times the mouse also will not advance the page and a click or two will not wake up the trackpad. If I move the cursor arrow over the little moving bar on the right or click on it with the mouse or wave the arrow around over the advance bar, sometimes the pad will 'wake up' and function again.

I just turned on my Bluetooth trackpad to see if the issues continue.; no issue right now. This could be problem not for me but for my wife.....I have talked her into taking this MBP and dropping (off a cliff!!) her HP laptop which operates at tortoise speed, constantly stalls for updates, and can't remember logins, etc. I have a newer MBP coming from OWC (thanks guys!) and she is dying to use a computer that will not frustrate her on every keyclick!

Please stop by with any suggestions to bring my old MBP back to health. Thanks in advance!

72/73 de k1qed, bob.c qrp 4evr!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jun 24, 2022 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 10:39 PM

You're welcome, bob.c.

Thank you for your reply.

If needed:

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery — Apple Support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCrl_4k0aqo

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support 

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 26, 2022 6:15 PM in response to bob.c

Hi bob.c,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Seems some of us are less skilled at using the trackpad, than others,

(eg: took me awhile to stop producing unwanted effects).

We may, unknowingly, let the wrist, lower palm, (etc) touch the trackpad ... eg: when using the keyboard,

ie: causing "unseen" interference.

eg: One person, (after being watched from the side-edge of the Mac,) finally found it was the little finger that touched/ dragged un-noticed / when using the trackpad causing unwanted effects.

Apple Support have articles online (links below) that may help.

Eg: to check and / or adjust various settings, after the update.

You might want to see if anything here helps:

Change Trackpad preferences on Mac – Apple Support

If the pointer doesn’t move when using the trackpad with Mac – Apple Support

Change Mouse & Trackpad preferences for accessibility on Mac – Apple Support

Use trackpad and mouse gestures on Mac – Apple Support

All the best:-)

Jun 28, 2022 7:26 AM in response to brbo

Hi brbo, thanks for checking out my question. I've looked thru these support articles but none address what is happening with my MBP. The problem doesn't happen when I am typing, just when I am scrolling and reading. The cursor seems to freeze unless I keep moving the page up and down; it freezes even if I move the arrow around with my mouse or the touchpad. Also I connected a bluetooth touchpad and the page arrows still will not move up and down. It seems to be an issue only with page advancing, not so much with hardware.

One other oddity: this seems to occur if the MBP has been in use for more than an hour. Maybe I should try reloading the High Sierra update from the App Store; that's how I went from El Cap to H.S. Not sure how to do that process, though.

Frustrating to say the least!

Thanks again! bob.c

2010 13" Macbook Pro trackpad intermittent working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.