Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Private relay getting stuck

Using private relay on MacOS 12.4 with private relay enabled. If the endpoint is being provided by Akamai, then the presented IPv4 address is from a /24 address span and changes (about) hourly. BUT most of the time the endpoint is being provided by CloudFlare from a /30 address span, and changes (about) once every 6 to 8 hours (and with such a small range of addresses generally flips back and forth between two addresses).

When the address is being provided by Akamai, every device I have (iPad and another Mac) has a seperate IPv4 address. When the end point address is being provided by CloudFlare, every device has the same IPv4 address (difference IPv6 address).

It appears that when the end point is being provided by Akamai that the service is working as intended; but with CloudFlare it isn't.

Is there any way to force Akamai???

(Note - making changes to the "IP address location" has absolutely no effect - but that may be an artefact of my location - there is only one major city in my time zone in my country!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 8:38 AM

andrew from one tree hill wrote:

Using private relay on MacOS 12.4 with private relay enabled. If the endpoint is being provided by Akamai, then the presented IPv4 address is from a /24 address span and changes (about) hourly. BUT most of the time the endpoint is being provided by CloudFlare from a /30 address span, and changes (about) once every 6 to 8 hours (and with such a small range of addresses generally flips back and forth between two addresses).

When the address is being provided by Akamai, every device I have (iPad and another Mac) has a seperate IPv4 address. When the end point address is being provided by CloudFlare, every device has the same IPv4 address (difference IPv6 address).

It appears that when the end point is being provided by Akamai that the service is working as intended; but with CloudFlare it isn't.

(Note - making changes to the "IP address location" has absolutely no effect - but that may be an artefact of my location - there is only one major city in my time zone in my country!

see if there is anything here—

Set up iCloud Private Relay on all your devices - Apple Support

Use iCloud Private Relay on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2022 8:38 AM in response to andrew from one tree hill

see if there is anything here—

Set up iCloud Private Relay on all your devices - Apple Support

Use iCloud Private Relay on Mac - Apple Support

Jun 25, 2022 8:27 PM in response to leroydouglas

"Limit IP tracking in mail and safari" - is NOT the issue - this is ON ... the issue is that the service providing the endpoint IP address has different behaviour.

When the endpoint service is being provided by:

CloudFlare:

• Changes on a couple of times per day
      • When it does change, it is changing over a very small span of IPv4 addresses (often back to one used very recently - in the last 3 weeks only 3 different addresses have been used (x.x.x.41, x.x.x.42, x.x.x.43)
      • All devices use use the same IPv4 address

Akamai:

• Changes endpoint address at (approx) 1 hour intervals
      • Changes over a larger span of addresses
      • Every device is presenting as a different IPv4 address

When the endpoint service is being provided by Akamai then it is behaving as I would expect. When the endpoint service is being provided by CloudFlare it has only marginal (if any) practical privacy effects.

Jun 25, 2022 9:39 AM in response to andrew from one tree hill

Using private relay on MacOS 12.4 with private relay enabled.

It’s worth noting that the “Limit IP Address Tracking” option must be enabled for each different network,

"Limit IP tracking in mail and safari" if turned off—will kill private relay.

Turn it on, then reboot.

No insight or resolve—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.