Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration to new Mac Mini M1 using a backup disk caused issues.

I can rearrange items on desktop, but changes are not saved. Applications do not remember recent files opened. Application license information did not transfer. When received new computer followed instructions and used migration assistant to load existing users on a backup drive. Could not use Mac Pro that was previously in use since it will no longer start up. System on backup disk was Monterrey

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 25, 2022 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 5:21 AM

"I have never had a problem with either program before"

This is irrelevant; you're having problems now.

If you don't get rid of the AV programs, all you're doing is mortgaging your future with the very real prospect of future problems. Continuing problems most likely because of their continued use.

Similar questions

15 replies

Jun 27, 2022 6:19 AM in response to Old Toad

I ran EtreCheckPro from my administrator user account. I have two anitvirus applications, but only one is operational. I will be going throught the report and trying any fixes the program suggests. A brief read shows a lot of unused files dating back to the early OSX days.

Thanks for the help!

The report follows.

Jun 27, 2022 6:34 AM in response to Donald L. Dygert

Q 1 - More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

Q 2- AntivirusforMac.app, Bitdefender, and Trusteer

A 1 and A 2 - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions

This will include BitDefender , and AntiVirus for Mac plus Trusteer

Q 3 - System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

A - 3 Any time the computer is running so many Modifications to the OS, there are sometimes unintended consequences to the performance and behaviour of the Computer. This may be what this computer is experiencing

Jun 30, 2022 6:39 AM in response to Donald L. Dygert

Below is a Revised Edition of previous posting regarding AV Cr#$ware

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User or “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Jun 26, 2022 4:06 PM in response to Donald L. Dygert

The fact that the problem didn't exist in the other user account point to some software in your original user account that is problematic. With that in mind download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the first window that comes up so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click the About… vurron and read the info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the culprit.

Jun 25, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Donald L. Dygert

Unlike an upgrade or update of the OS, transfer of licensed apps carry the potential of being problematic. You will need to reactivate them, or re-license them as the case may be, using their respective license codes. I always advise uninstalling the licensed apps just before making a pre-migration Time Machine Backup.

Migration Assistant does not affect the desktop per se, it only transfers apps, personal data and settings. You desktop problem is unrelated to Migration Assistant.

Tell us more about that situation, and a fix may be possible, likely in fact once the issue is understood..

Jun 25, 2022 9:51 AM in response to ku4hx

Good afternoon, Thanks for the info. I'm having only minor problems with most of my apps except for microsoft. When I move icons around on the desktop, they stat in place as long as I don't log out. Sometimes they stay in place when I log back in and some times they don't. Another separate problem is that my apps don't remember recent files that have been opened. I can close a file and then go to "open recent" and the file isn't there.

Thanks for the help, Don Dygert KT1OK

Jun 26, 2022 8:50 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Good morning,

Tried rebooting in safe mode. I didn't help. I think there is a problem with the user account. I created a new user and was able to save desktop changes. The other two existing accounts are able to save desktop changes as well. With this account, some changes are saved and some aren't.

Also, it seems that the recent files menu is now working. It may be a problem with only a few applications.

Will probably just live with the problem since it does not affect application performance.

Thanks for the help!

Don Dygert KT1OK

Migration to new Mac Mini M1 using a backup disk caused issues.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.