Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cursor lags on M1 MacBook Air - MacOS Monterey

I'm using Version 12.4 MacOS Monterey on MacBook Air (M1, 2020), and sometimes the cursor lags until I restart my laptop. It starts to behave like this randomly, even if I don't have any heavy applications or tasks running. The only solution I know for this issue is restarting, which is inconvenient as it takes time.

If any other user experiences the same issue and knows a quick solution for it, I would appreciate a helping hand. I appreciate any help you can provide.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 10:44 AM

ahmed_gelemli wrote:

I'm using Version 12.4 MacOS Monterey on MacBook Air (M1, 2020), and sometimes the cursor lags until I restart my laptop. It starts to behave like this randomly, even if I don't have any heavy applications or tasks running. The only solution I know for this issue is restarting, which is inconvenient as it takes time.

If any other user experiences the same issue and knows a quick solution for it, I would appreciate a helping hand. I appreciate any help you can provide.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2022 10:44 AM in response to ahmed_gelemli

ahmed_gelemli wrote:

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Cursor lags on M1 MacBook Air - MacOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.