Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 macbook pro 3rd monitor

I have a 2020 MacBook Pro 13 Inch Laptop. I can connect two external monitors without issue. (Via HDMI USB C Dock or directly into the Thunderbolt Ports). I have a 3rd Monitor (Exactly the same as the two that are working) and the MacBook it will not detect or Display the 3rd Monitor. It only mirrors the second display :/ is this a hardware or software limitation? Very disappointing. I only have a limited selection of laptops available from work, so if this can't be fixed, I'll probably be looking at a different manufacturer when it comes to replacing this laptop early next year.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 9:13 AM

Yes. The 13" Intel MacBook Pro does not support 3 monitors. Its a hardware limitation due to the Graphics card. It simply cannot drive more than 2 screens.

The 2021 M1 Max 14" or 16" MacBook Pros do support 3 monitors.

Apple no longer sells any Intel MacBook Pros so if you must have an Intel Mac, it will have to be pre-owned or refurbished. The 2019 16" MacBook Pro is the last one to support up to 4 displays at 4K.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) - Technical Specifications

If you need Intel and multiple display support, then you will need to buy a PC rather than a Mac, and there's nothing wrong with that. Buy whatever meets your needs.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2022 9:13 AM in response to jos2589

Yes. The 13" Intel MacBook Pro does not support 3 monitors. Its a hardware limitation due to the Graphics card. It simply cannot drive more than 2 screens.

The 2021 M1 Max 14" or 16" MacBook Pros do support 3 monitors.

Apple no longer sells any Intel MacBook Pros so if you must have an Intel Mac, it will have to be pre-owned or refurbished. The 2019 16" MacBook Pro is the last one to support up to 4 displays at 4K.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) - Technical Specifications

If you need Intel and multiple display support, then you will need to buy a PC rather than a Mac, and there's nothing wrong with that. Buy whatever meets your needs.

Jun 27, 2022 7:39 AM in response to jos2589

2020 M1 13" MacBook Pro, only 1 external display at a max of 6K is supported. Link-> MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) - Technical Specifications

2020 Intel 13" MacBook Pro, only 2 external displays at a max of 4K, or 1 at 6K. Link-> MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) - Technical Specifications

Neither of the 2020 MacBook Pros support 3 displays in any configuration.

Jun 27, 2022 7:51 AM in response to jos2589

<< I'll probably be looking at a different manufacturer when it comes to replacing this laptop early next year. >>

There are several models of Macs, including MacBook Pro models, that can support the number of displays you desire.

That is NOT a defect, you have simply not bought a capable-enough Mac for the performance and features you desire.

--------

Readers here are almost all other Users, not Apple employees. The threat to switch to another type of computer when your needs REQUIRE that will only be met with "great idea!"

2020 macbook pro 3rd monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.