Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3rd HDMI display will not work on my 2020 MacBook. Help!

Hello!

I have a 2020 macbook 13in with the Touch Bar. serial C0***L7H

I love having a lot of monitors at my normal workspace. I have been successfully using 2 extra monitors, along with the 13in monitor on the laptop itself. 1 of them is lightning port to direct HDMI. The other is lightning port to a little hub that has an HDMI port (to 2nd monitor). I got a new cable that is again, lightning port to HDMI, but it won't recognize the third monitor. If I disconnect a different one, it will connect to the 3rd monitor. Anyone know how I could get around this limitation and have this third monitor?

Thanks!

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 2:48 PM

The 2020 Apple-Silicon M1 13-in MacBook Pro and Air and 2022 Apple-Silicon M2 13-in MacBook Pro and Air are extremely-capable entry-level computers. They can support the internal display AND an External display up to the previously unheard of size of the Apple 6K display at billions of colors. But only ONE in addition to the internal display.

This may not match the way older computers forced you to work, since older computers were not able to support a really large external display. But it is NOT a defect. The spec was available long before you could purchase the computer.

If you attach a stunt-box that uses DisplayLink chips and software to provide an additional display, you get an additional display, but that display is not fully hardware accelerated. You can use such a display OK for program listings, stock quotes, spreadsheets and other slow-to-change data, but NOT for full-motion Video.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 23, 2022 2:48 PM in response to echeadle

The 2020 Apple-Silicon M1 13-in MacBook Pro and Air and 2022 Apple-Silicon M2 13-in MacBook Pro and Air are extremely-capable entry-level computers. They can support the internal display AND an External display up to the previously unheard of size of the Apple 6K display at billions of colors. But only ONE in addition to the internal display.

This may not match the way older computers forced you to work, since older computers were not able to support a really large external display. But it is NOT a defect. The spec was available long before you could purchase the computer.

If you attach a stunt-box that uses DisplayLink chips and software to provide an additional display, you get an additional display, but that display is not fully hardware accelerated. You can use such a display OK for program listings, stock quotes, spreadsheets and other slow-to-change data, but NOT for full-motion Video.

3rd HDMI display will not work on my 2020 MacBook. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.