Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s Battery issue : Health = "Service" yet also shows "Peak Performance Capacity"... ??

I have an older iPhone 6s which I keep around for use at home on WiFi, as I've since upgraded and the have removed the old SIM card.

Recently the phone shuts down shortly after removing the charging cable, even though its reportedly fully charged. It's running iOS 15.4.1, so I doubt, it's a bug in the battery level estimate (as that was supposed to have been fixed).

Though, I wonder, why the battery is so poor - even when it's in a powered off state, turning back on again, results in a zero-charge state.

I also have 2 ancient iPads and neither seem to loose battery charge when powered off even for weeks at a time...

The "Battery Health" menu for this iPhone, reports two contradictory values. Firstly, it says "Service" against this function, but then at the same time, it also states that it's operating at "Peak Performance Capacity" with Maximum Capacity of 77%. Is this normal ?

Is there a cheap and easy way to remedy the situation, or is it now just junk needing trading in for another more expensive iPhone ?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 6:25 AM

The only way to remedy the situation is to have the battery replaced. In the U.S., that would cost you $50.

iPhone Battery Replacement - Official Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 27, 2022 6:37 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you Idris, do you know what the expected lifetime of that battery replacement would be ?

Currently when charging my iPhone 6S, the back of it does get rather hot. Perhaps that is a side effect of it being old, though were it to catch fire, then I wonder where that places Apple - 4-5 years isn't really that long. Is that heat issue also normal for older phones ? I'm just wondering how long I can postpone the battery replacement. A cost of 50 US$ in the US, will probably end up in Japan being double, or triple that :( here in Japan.

Jun 27, 2022 8:00 AM in response to svaardt

The expected life of a battery is 500 charge cycles. For most people, that's about a year and a half to two years but, it varies.

If your phone is also getting so hot that you're concerned about it catching fire, turn it off and stop charging it until you can have it looked out. You may have more problems than just a dying battery. If that's the case, it may not be worth repairing.

iPhone 6s Battery issue : Health = "Service" yet also shows "Peak Performance Capacity"... ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.