Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modified Files No Longer Upload to Shared Folder

I’ve been successfully editing a file in an iCloud Drive shared folder for about six months. A week ago, edits I made to the file on my Mac unexpectedly stopped uploading to iCloud. The iCloud Drive status window on the Mac shows “Uploading 1 item”, “136 KB of 136 KB”, but the status bar remains at 50%. I’ve tried logging out, rebooting, turning iCloud Drive off/on, and verifying settings and date/time stamps without success.

The sync service itself seems to be working as I can successfully update files outside of the shared folder. But I am unable to update any files within the shared folder. Any thoughts?

Mac Pro (late 2013), MacOS Monterey 12.4

Posted on Jun 27, 2022 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 4:52 PM

Hi Jmanna13:

I tried all the specific suggestions without success so I chatted with Apple Support as you also suggested. 

After confirming I did not have iCloud Desktop & Documents enabled, they requested I reset permissions and reinstall macOS as follows:

• Boot up in Recovery mode by holding command-R
  • Open the Terminal from the Utilities menu
  • Type “repairHomePermissions”
  • Select my account and enter admin password if needed; exit Repair Utility
  • Select Reinstall MacOS (which does not affect user data files)
  • Restart in normal mode

These steps fixed the issue for me on my Mac Pro and MacBook. I had to reboot my iPad to force it to reload the file and pick up the latest file version.

I don’t know what caused the problem but many thanks to those who helped and to Apple Support for resolving the problem.

Will

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2022 4:52 PM in response to Jmanna13

Hi Jmanna13:

I tried all the specific suggestions without success so I chatted with Apple Support as you also suggested. 

After confirming I did not have iCloud Desktop & Documents enabled, they requested I reset permissions and reinstall macOS as follows:

• Boot up in Recovery mode by holding command-R
  • Open the Terminal from the Utilities menu
  • Type “repairHomePermissions”
  • Select my account and enter admin password if needed; exit Repair Utility
  • Select Reinstall MacOS (which does not affect user data files)
  • Restart in normal mode

These steps fixed the issue for me on my Mac Pro and MacBook. I had to reboot my iPad to force it to reload the file and pick up the latest file version.

I don’t know what caused the problem but many thanks to those who helped and to Apple Support for resolving the problem.

Will

Jun 28, 2022 12:29 PM in response to Will Deatrick

Hi Will Deatrick, We appreciate you reaching out to us. We understand that you are experiencing issues syncing the changes that you've made on a file that is stored on your iCloud Drive.

We’d like to gather additional details that may help us be in a better position to assist you.

Have you had the chance to try multiple devices to work on your file?

If yes, are you experiencing the same issue across all devices?

In the meantime, we recommend that you check if the issue persists when signed in on a different user account. 

The article below can help if you do not have any other user account to test with.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

If you are experiencing the issue when signed in on a different user account, we recommend that you check if the issue persists while on safe mode. 

Below is an article to help guide you through the process.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Take care!

Jun 29, 2022 11:32 AM in response to Will Deatrick

Thanks for the additional information, Will Deatrick. Did you try the steps in the last message from us? "It may be something specific with that file. Try a new test user profile and if possible a new iCloud Drive file. That will help further narrow down the issue. We look forward to hearing your results."

If so, and the issue remains, please Contact Apple Support.

Regards.

Jun 28, 2022 6:08 PM in response to kamote0628

Hi Kamote0628:

Thank you for your offer to help. Answers to your questions below:

> Have you had the chance to try multiple devices to work on your file?

I got the same behavior when using my 2016 MacBook (same MacOS as my Mac Pro).

> recommend that you check if the issue persists while on safe mode

i rebooted the MacBook into safe mode but the behavior did not change.

> check if the issue persists when signed in on a different user account. 

The iCloud folder was created by my father and shared with my Apple ID only, so a different Apple ID should not be able to see the folder.

Thank you,

Will

Jun 29, 2022 7:14 AM in response to Will Deatrick

Thanks for getting back to us with that information Will Deatrick.

You can create another user profile on that computer (with administrative rights) and still then log in with the same Apple ID to test. We are trying to narrow down if there's anything specific to the user profile on that computer causing the issue.

But something you said stood out. You mentioned you had a similar issue with the same file on a different device. Do you recall if you create a new file or work on a different file with iCloud Drive if the same issue occurs?

It may be something specific with that file. Try a new test user profile and if possible a new iCloud Drive file. That will help further narrow down the issue. We look forward to hearing your results.

Best regards.

Jun 29, 2022 11:32 AM in response to Soosie_J215

Hi Soosie:

> you can create another user profile on that computer

I did a slightly different test by using my MacBook 2016 which would be a different profile since it is a different computer than my Mac Pro (late 2013). The behavior was the same. Although I could make a change to the Excel file, the upload would not complete. All of my devices (iPads, iPhone) show the old Excel file dated 6/21/22. I also tried uploading a PDF files from my McBook to iCloud drive. If I moved the PDF to the top level of iCould drive, it would move over correctly, but when I tried to move it to the shared folder, the transfer would not completed just like the Excel folder.

The behavior is as if the shared folder is locked somehow and will not allow any more updates. I checked all the logs I could find but saw no errors related to the file move.

I did check the shared folder status from both my account and my Dad's account, and it stills shows my father as the owner, shared with me, and that I can make changes (this is visible only from my father's account).

Thanks,

Will

Modified Files No Longer Upload to Shared Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.