Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get iMovie to recognize blue in footage instead of green when using green screen effect?

Under the Green/Blue Screen effect, there's no option to choose whether it recognizes green or blue, and in a shot where I want it to use an area of blue, it keeps recognizing the grass in the background instead.

This is particularly annoying because I tested it with a different shot and it used the blue, so I'm really not sure what determines which one it scans for. If I put something in for the grass, export it, and use the effect again, it recognizes the blue perfectly (but now the grass is another random color). This seems like a problem with the software.

Is there any way for me to get iMovie to switch from green to blue? I can't find anything about this anywhere online.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2022 8:34 AM

From iMovie help menu:

The color that iMovie removes is based on the dominant color in the frame at the position of the playhead when you choose Green/Blue Screen from the pop-up menu. If the frame below the playhead isn’t representative of the rest of the clip, you may need to reposition the playhead and reapply the effect.

To reposition the green-screen or blue-screen clip, drag it to a different spot within the clip, or to a different clip. You can also drag the ends to lengthen or shorten it.

— Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2022 8:34 AM in response to BrunoExists

From iMovie help menu:

The color that iMovie removes is based on the dominant color in the frame at the position of the playhead when you choose Green/Blue Screen from the pop-up menu. If the frame below the playhead isn’t representative of the rest of the clip, you may need to reposition the playhead and reapply the effect.

To reposition the green-screen or blue-screen clip, drag it to a different spot within the clip, or to a different clip. You can also drag the ends to lengthen or shorten it.

— Rich

How to get iMovie to recognize blue in footage instead of green when using green screen effect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.