Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I change my Apple ID to one of my aliases?

My Apple ID ends in @icloud.com. I want to use one of my aliases that also ends in icloud.com as my Apple ID. When I try to do it, the error message I receive is "You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account," which is a sentence that barely makes sense. What does it mean to add an address that is already on file? If it's already on file, why would I need to add it? And anyway, I'm not trying to add an address, I'm trying to change my Apple ID to an email address that I already use through iCloud as an alias.

Any help? (Please, if you reply, be sure to use intelligible English spelling and syntax. Thank you.)

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 12:37 PM

Apple’s AppleID system does not allow any icloud alias address to be used as the primary email address. It never has allowed that.

Since your AppleID’s primary email address is already an @icloud.com address (I.e. not a third party email address) those iCloud email aliases are not considered separate or different primary email addresses.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2022 12:37 PM in response to lane.mick

Apple’s AppleID system does not allow any icloud alias address to be used as the primary email address. It never has allowed that.

Since your AppleID’s primary email address is already an @icloud.com address (I.e. not a third party email address) those iCloud email aliases are not considered separate or different primary email addresses.

Why can't I change my Apple ID to one of my aliases?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.