Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why did my phone transfer photos to new phone through icloud

Hello. I just purchased an Iphone 13 Pro as an upgrade from my Iphone 12 Pro. My Iphone 12 was working fine but my main reasoning for purchasing a new $1,200 Iphone was to start fresh with no photos while keeping the old ones on my old phone. I have 45,000 photos... I specifically did an Icloud restore so that I could deselect the "photos" section and transfer everything other than my photos. Now I have just restored the new phone and I still have 45,000 photos... I understand that now if I delete the photos off my new phone they will be deleted off of my old phone too. This is totally unacceptable. Last time I tried deleting thousands of photos off of my Iphone 6s it killed the phone and never worked again. Why did this happen and how do I fix it? At this point I feel like I have thrown $1,200 down the drain for nothing. Thanks for any help...

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2022 4:59 PM

You must have enabled iCloud photos on both devices. iCloud photo is a service that uses iCloud storage to synchronize all photos across your devices.

On the new phone go to your iCloud settings and turn iCloud photo OFF. Then delete the photos. With iCloud photo OFF that action will not be sync’d to the old device.

To really keep your photos safe from accidental changes though, you should be backing them up somewhere separately, like a computer hard drive. iCloud photo is a sync service and even Apple recommends still backing up photos somewhere else for safekeeping.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2022 4:59 PM in response to ConfusedIphone13Owner

You must have enabled iCloud photos on both devices. iCloud photo is a service that uses iCloud storage to synchronize all photos across your devices.

On the new phone go to your iCloud settings and turn iCloud photo OFF. Then delete the photos. With iCloud photo OFF that action will not be sync’d to the old device.

To really keep your photos safe from accidental changes though, you should be backing them up somewhere separately, like a computer hard drive. iCloud photo is a sync service and even Apple recommends still backing up photos somewhere else for safekeeping.

why did my phone transfer photos to new phone through icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.