Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Watch keeps disconnecting my headphones

Anyone else having this issue with your Apple Watch? Every time I’m using my AirPods or Bluetooth headphones, if the screen on my watch turns on it automatically stops my music and disconnects my AirPods/headphones. It’s been happening recently and it’s been a pain. Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix it? Thank you!

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 8

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2022 2:45 PM

Hi Jescalix09,

I see three possible issues that can be described from concern (listed in possible to unlikely):

1. Your AirPods have a preexisting connection with your Apple Watch and media was played from your Watch, switching the connection to your Watch.
  2. Your Watch can control media volume through the turning of the Digital Crown even when media is not played exclusively from there. The watch, especially if you are wearing it can change the volume of your current media from your iPhone, Mac, or Airpods unexpectedly (ex. your arm the watch sits on drags along the fabric of a couch and triggers the Digital Crown)
  3. Your firmware is not updated on AirPods. I put this as unlikely as AirPods checks and automatically installs the newest firmware automatically when charging the case. Apple updates the AirPods with the frequent emphasis of getting the best connection to your audio devices. You can check your AirPods firmware by going to your AirPods bluetooth page and clicking the 'i" icon. The latest firmware is 4E71.

Please let us know if any of the three could be the possible issue.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2022 2:45 PM in response to Jescalix09

Hi Jescalix09,

I see three possible issues that can be described from concern (listed in possible to unlikely):

1. Your AirPods have a preexisting connection with your Apple Watch and media was played from your Watch, switching the connection to your Watch.
  2. Your Watch can control media volume through the turning of the Digital Crown even when media is not played exclusively from there. The watch, especially if you are wearing it can change the volume of your current media from your iPhone, Mac, or Airpods unexpectedly (ex. your arm the watch sits on drags along the fabric of a couch and triggers the Digital Crown)
  3. Your firmware is not updated on AirPods. I put this as unlikely as AirPods checks and automatically installs the newest firmware automatically when charging the case. Apple updates the AirPods with the frequent emphasis of getting the best connection to your audio devices. You can check your AirPods firmware by going to your AirPods bluetooth page and clicking the 'i" icon. The latest firmware is 4E71.

Please let us know if any of the three could be the possible issue.

My Apple Watch keeps disconnecting my headphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.