Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keystroke to hide and reveal the Dock?

Last year I commented on how irritated I get when I move my cursor near to the bottom of the FCPX window and the Dock pops up.

Several suggestions were made but for me, the only real solution would be a keystroke to hide or reveal the Dock when appropriate.

Is there such a thing or could one be created relatively simply?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 2:24 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jul 3, 2022 2:44 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

In your case, I suppose you can do better than that - if you don't want the Dock to accidentally appear (just as I don't, since I hardly ever need it), there is a command to set a longer delay. This way, the Dock will only appear if the cursor stays in the Dock area for a set period of time.

I have this set to 5 seconds. It's great for me, because I know I can make the Dock appear, either by waiting 5 seconds, or pressing the shortcut. Maybe this will work for you; and of course it does not have to be 5 seconds, it could 2, or whatever you prefer.

defaults write com.apple.dock "autohide-delay" -float "5" && killall Dock

Of course, use a different number if you like; also, you can undo any changes by calling the command again with the default value, 0.5, or by deleting the preference with

defaults delete com.apple.dock "autohide-delay" && killall Dock

Jul 3, 2022 6:46 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Something unexpected is happening when I use Terminal.

The 5 second delay command works fine but I felt the delay could be shorter.

So I used the command to reset the original parameters and then I used the 5 second command but substituted "2".

defaults write com.apple.dock "autohide-delay" -float “2” && killall Dock

When tested, the Dock popped up instantly as though I had not input the 2 second command.

I used the command to revert to normal (although it was behaving normally) and tried again but once more there was no delaying effect.

However, when I used the original 5 second delay command it worked as it should.

Any ideas as to why the 2 second command is not having any effect?

Jul 3, 2022 8:34 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I have no idea why the 2 second version was not working as expected.

Regarding the spelling: the APFS file system (like Mac OS Extended before it) is, by default, NOT case sensitive, so if write a file name with different capitalization it will recognize it as the same. It does retain the capitalization as the file was created.

IIRC, Apple calls it the Dock, and it is supposed to be always spelled like this, with a capital D (and untranslated, no matter what language the system is using).

Since com.apple.dock refers to an actual file, the command should work regardless of capitalization (the file is in fact ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist, but I am not at my mac, so it could be

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Dock.plist

Keystroke to hide and reveal the Dock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.