Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a key that I can use to stop the Dock from appearing when hidden?

I'm working in fullscreen and sometimes I'm working on an image and need to go right to the edge of the screen. The Dock is always hidden, but is there anything I can do to prevent it from popping open. Honestly I hardly ever use the Dock except to move things to the Trash. For me the Dock is more an annoyance than a help. I'd love if there was a keychord like ⇧ ⌥ that I could hold with one hand and would let me stop the Dock from appearing when I have to. Is there anything like that at all? I found a way with Terminal

defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 5 && killall Dock

that let's you keep the Dock hidden for a time. That kills the Dock opening, but it's a one time use. I'd have to re-enter the Terminal command every time I used the Dock or touched the screen edge where it is. I don't know how to script it to be a permanent function.

Thanks very much for any help.

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 12:50 PM

You should not need to re-enter the command.

Set a moderate or large delay (12 seconds shown):

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -float 12; killall Dock

And then use Command-Option-D to reveal the Dock when and as needed, or hold for the delay to reveal if the mouse or trackpad or keyboard is offline. You can then (effectively) use Command-Option-D as a Dock toggle.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2023 12:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

You should not need to re-enter the command.

Set a moderate or large delay (12 seconds shown):

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -float 12; killall Dock

And then use Command-Option-D to reveal the Dock when and as needed, or hold for the delay to reveal if the mouse or trackpad or keyboard is offline. You can then (effectively) use Command-Option-D as a Dock toggle.

Mar 25, 2023 12:33 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

I'm working in fullscreen and sometimes I'm working on an image and need to go right to the edge of the screen. The Dock is always hidden, but is there anything I can do to prevent it from popping open. Honestly I hardly ever use the Dock except to move things to the Trash. For me the Dock is more an annoyance than a help. I'd love if there was a keychord like ⇧ ⌥ that I could hold with one hand and would let me stop the Dock from appearing when I have to. Is there anything like that at all? I found a way with Terminal

defaults write com.apple.Dock autohide-delay -float 5 && killall Dock

that let's you keep the Dock hidden for a time. That kills the Dock opening, but it's a one time use. I'd have to re-enter the Terminal command every time I used the Dock or touched the screen edge where it is. I don't know how to script it to be a permanent function.

Thanks very much for any help.

Well not perfect however you can try reducing the default tilesize from 16 to 1

defaults write com.apple.dock tilesize -int 1  && killall Dock

Is there a key that I can use to stop the Dock from appearing when hidden?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.