You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cpu 0 (or 1) failed to halt with error -5: Halt not supported for this configuration

I have three times, in June, gotten the following as my new MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro, 32Gb):

cpu 0 failed to halt with error -5: Halt not supported for this configuration, and

cpu 1 failed to halt with error -5: Halt not supported for this configuration.

The MacBook starts acting up, by not reacting to any right or left clicks, and sometimes it just restarts w/o any warning.

I have noticed, that Zscaler usually have a red explanation mark when this happens so not sure if this is "side-effect" or if it's the app that cases the crash? Just wanted to mention it...

The macbook is managed by an IT team (in the company I'm working for, but they are not the sharpest when it comes to Mac help) and they sent me a generic Intel based Mac trouble shooting guide...

Any idea what the error messages mean, as I don't get any hits when searching the web or in here?

I have a similar MacBook Pro, but 16" 16 Gb, and never have any issues as with the 14"

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 1:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 7:59 AM

It sounds like the laptop may have some software that is trying to use an Intel feature not supported on the M1 Mac, or the laptop may possibly have a hardware issue. To me it sounds like an issue with some sort of third party software that has been installed on this M1 Mac.

If this is your laptop, then we can try looking for possible software issues by running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the report will include more details which may provide more clues. I'm not a software expert so I hope another more knowledgeable contributor will be able to examine the report since my macOS software experience/knowledge is limited. Chances are the company installed some security software and anti-virus software which are usually the source of many problems, but they may also be using other software to manage the Mac as well that may not be fully compatible.

If this is a company supplied computer, then it is up to the company to make sure the laptop is running correctly both with hardware and software.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected, but a passing diagnostic is not a guarantee that the hardware is Ok.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2022 7:59 AM in response to Cupart

It sounds like the laptop may have some software that is trying to use an Intel feature not supported on the M1 Mac, or the laptop may possibly have a hardware issue. To me it sounds like an issue with some sort of third party software that has been installed on this M1 Mac.

If this is your laptop, then we can try looking for possible software issues by running EtreCheck and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. If you give EtreCheck "Full Disk Access", then the report will include more details which may provide more clues. I'm not a software expert so I hope another more knowledgeable contributor will be able to examine the report since my macOS software experience/knowledge is limited. Chances are the company installed some security software and anti-virus software which are usually the source of many problems, but they may also be using other software to manage the Mac as well that may not be fully compatible.

If this is a company supplied computer, then it is up to the company to make sure the laptop is running correctly both with hardware and software.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected, but a passing diagnostic is not a guarantee that the hardware is Ok.

Jul 4, 2022 11:29 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your thorough reply HWTech

Not sure I can d/l and run EtreCheck but I'll do am Apple Diagnostic run a little later and see if it throws back any issues.

I'm starting to lean towards Zscaler causing issues as it always seem to be popping up when the Mac "crashes".

Thanks again for having taken your time with this. Highly appreciated in deed...

cpu 0 (or 1) failed to halt with error -5: Halt not supported for this configuration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.