Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

panic(cpu caller) - Mac crashes every time I put it to sleep and only reboots when connected to power

Macbook Pro 13", late '17, 11.6

I've just replaced my logic board as the authorized service center believed that would help solve my panic crashes on sleep, and also replaced my top set (battery, keyboard and trackpad as part of the sticky butterfly keys issue).

My macbook still crashes every time I put it to sleep. Error message attached. I've tried running first aid on the disk and resetting NVRAM but the issue persists. I've spent $500 now trying to fix my laptop and solve this sleep-wake panic crash issue (logic board replacement) and I've run out of ideas. Does anybody have a solution for this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2021 5:33 PM

The Kernel Panic log is showing a problem with the SSD as indicated by this portion of the log:

nvme: "Fatal error occurred.

You have the non-Touchbar model which has a removable SSD. There is actually a free SSD repair program available for a very small number of these 2017 non-Touchbar MBPros. However, the only way an AASP can do the free SSD repair on one of these laptops is if their Apple service portal tells them a laptop is eligible for the free repair. I have personally found lots of our organization's 2017 non-Touchbar MBPros have bad SSDs, but we have had to pay for their replacement since those laptops did not qualify for the free SSD repair program although I'm sure these SSDs have the same issue.

I am 99% sure the SSD is the source of your problems. Unfortunately I cannot say whether the replacement SSD that Apple installs will be any better since Apple doesn't provide any details about the original problem or whether they have updated the hardware on their SSDs. You may be paying for yet another potentially defective SSD.

I personally would be quite upset at Apple or the AASP for not looking at or properly interpreting the Kernel Panic logs which would have easily told them what the problem was. I would contact Apple corporate and let them know how Apple or the AASP has incorrectly diagnosed your laptop to see if they can do anything for you. I doubt they will refund the money you already paid, but perhaps they will offer you a Customer Satisfaction Code so the SSD can be replaced for free. You could also speak with the manager of the store/shop to see how they could correct their mistaken diagnosis (an Apple Store should be better able to make exceptions, but you never know).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2021 5:33 PM in response to ssiddarth

The Kernel Panic log is showing a problem with the SSD as indicated by this portion of the log:

nvme: "Fatal error occurred.

You have the non-Touchbar model which has a removable SSD. There is actually a free SSD repair program available for a very small number of these 2017 non-Touchbar MBPros. However, the only way an AASP can do the free SSD repair on one of these laptops is if their Apple service portal tells them a laptop is eligible for the free repair. I have personally found lots of our organization's 2017 non-Touchbar MBPros have bad SSDs, but we have had to pay for their replacement since those laptops did not qualify for the free SSD repair program although I'm sure these SSDs have the same issue.

I am 99% sure the SSD is the source of your problems. Unfortunately I cannot say whether the replacement SSD that Apple installs will be any better since Apple doesn't provide any details about the original problem or whether they have updated the hardware on their SSDs. You may be paying for yet another potentially defective SSD.

I personally would be quite upset at Apple or the AASP for not looking at or properly interpreting the Kernel Panic logs which would have easily told them what the problem was. I would contact Apple corporate and let them know how Apple or the AASP has incorrectly diagnosed your laptop to see if they can do anything for you. I doubt they will refund the money you already paid, but perhaps they will offer you a Customer Satisfaction Code so the SSD can be replaced for free. You could also speak with the manager of the store/shop to see how they could correct their mistaken diagnosis (an Apple Store should be better able to make exceptions, but you never know).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

panic(cpu caller) - Mac crashes every time I put it to sleep and only reboots when connected to power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.