Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail and gmail account

I set up a new gmail account on my iPhone. It works fine but the account doesn’t show up on my other iOS or Mac devices. I’m confused.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 10:18 AM

Why are you posting to the El Capitan forum?

Unless your Mac is older than 2016, it isn't running El Capitan.

Google has two options for email, set on website gmail.com. Follow the documentation for setting up IMAP or POP in the link below:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

Do not use the prepackaged gmail account type in Apple's Internet Options Systems preferences or Mail menu -> Preferences accounts. Except on the most current Mac OS and iOS these prepackaged Gmail settings are old. IMAP lets you manage email on multiple devices and have a single copy that goes to all devices of the same email. The email remains stored in Texas at Google headquarters. POP allows messages to be checked and sent to a locally stored folder on your Mac. The problem with POP, is usually that removes them from Texas, and makes it difficult to load the same email on your iPhone, or if set vice versa. Only use POP if you intend to use the email on one device that is regularly backed up to an external device.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2022 10:18 AM in response to Lunathedog900

Why are you posting to the El Capitan forum?

Unless your Mac is older than 2016, it isn't running El Capitan.

Google has two options for email, set on website gmail.com. Follow the documentation for setting up IMAP or POP in the link below:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7126229?hl=en

Do not use the prepackaged gmail account type in Apple's Internet Options Systems preferences or Mail menu -> Preferences accounts. Except on the most current Mac OS and iOS these prepackaged Gmail settings are old. IMAP lets you manage email on multiple devices and have a single copy that goes to all devices of the same email. The email remains stored in Texas at Google headquarters. POP allows messages to be checked and sent to a locally stored folder on your Mac. The problem with POP, is usually that removes them from Texas, and makes it difficult to load the same email on your iPhone, or if set vice versa. Only use POP if you intend to use the email on one device that is regularly backed up to an external device.

Apple mail and gmail account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.