Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (3rd generation) Wi-Fi failure

Recently upgraded my router to Wi-Fi 6. My Apple TV 3rd generation will not connect.

Symptom: it recognizes the SSID, and when I select my SSID, Apple TV responds with : "There was a problem connecting to the network."

and "The Wi-Fi password you entered is not correct. Try again. (-100)"

The problem is, there is no opportunity to enter a password, and no apparent means to forget the connection (to re-create it)

I tried Restore, which fails without a network connection.

I tried Reset all Settings: the following screen did not show my SSID (all other devices in close proximity do, so it's not a signal strength problem). I manually entered my SSID, and Apple TV recognized the signal. Unfortunately, I got the same message as above ("There was a problem connecting to the network.").

Suggestions anyone?

Apple TV 3, 8

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 7:19 PM

Hi mwacuff,

Apple TV 3rd Gen Supports Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n) please ensure your Wi-Fi router supports these standards.

Apple TV (3rd generation) - Technical Specifications (AU)

Cheers,

Sean

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 6, 2022 8:04 PM in response to Bridgetxloser

I changed the router from "WPA2/WPA3-Personal" to "WPA/WPA2-Personal". Had to fiddle with the Apple TV a bit, but I got it working again.

I'm not 100% convinced that this was the fix though, since "WPA2/WPA3-Personal" should support WPA2 security (as the name implies).

Will need to fiddle some more to discover the real root cause.

But you got me on the right track, so thanks!

Jul 7, 2022 6:51 PM in response to mwacuff

Now I'm convinced: I tested my Apple TV with both "WPA2/WPA3-Personal" and "WPA/WPA2-Personal". Without changing any other parameters, the Apple TV definitely does not like "WPA2/WPA3-Personal" security.

It's unclear whether this is a problem with the router (not properly supporting the WPA2 part of the security), or the Apple TV not handling it properly.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Apple TV (3rd generation) Wi-Fi failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.