My Apple TV Model MC572SO/A (I think 2nd Generation) will not connect to my Wi-Fi network.

• The device sees the network.
  • When I click on it I get the message: 'There was a problem connecting to the network. The Wi-Fi password you entered is not correct. Try again. (-100).
  • I cannot see how I can re-enter a password.
  • If I press the 'Menu' buttot to go back - I get the list of Wi-Fi networks same as usual, including my own but by selecting my Wi-Fi network again I get the same situation repeating, and repeating, and...
  • I have done a complete reset of the Apple TV but this has not helped at all. Same situation with same error message.
  • If I was able to get to the Wi-Fi password entry point I feel it may resolve the situation but I am not given the option.
  • I now have no idea how to proceed.
  • Advice will be appreciated.

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2023 10:06 AM

My Apple TV Model MC572SO/A (I think 2nd Generation)

That seems correct. It should also have a model designation of A1378.

My Apple TV will not connect to my Wi-Fi network.
  1. Try the steps as mentioned in: If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’. Some users report that they had to set ‘WPA2’-only first.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2023 10:06 AM in response to billfromfarnborough

My Apple TV Model MC572SO/A (I think 2nd Generation)

That seems correct. It should also have a model designation of A1378.

My Apple TV will not connect to my Wi-Fi network.
  1. Try the steps as mentioned in: If your Apple TV can't connect to Wi-Fi - Apple Support
  2. Try the ‘Other…’ option instead of selecting a listed discovered network. Especially if the password has been changed.
  3. For Apple TV (4th generation or earlier), verify that the router or access point isn’t set to use WPA3, as only device models from ~2018 or later support that. Instead use ‘WPA2/WPA3 Transitional’. Some users report that they had to set ‘WPA2’-only first.

Jul 31, 2023 2:06 PM in response to billfromfarnborough

Apple TV (2nd generation) (2010) is now considered a legacy device with limited functionality, as several high profile third party content providers have now abandoned their support for this specific model. Newer devices would give you more services, and likely more entertainment.

Good luck on your journey to find alternative streaming solutions. If you consider one of Apple’s newer models, then see here: Apple TV 4K (2022 models) - Apple.

Jul 31, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Dear Urquhart1244.

• Many thanks for taking the time to offer advice re my problem.
  • However, after following your advice and also doing a complete reset of my Apple TV box and restarting my router, which is using WPA2/WPA3, I still cannot connect to my network and nor can I delete or 'forget' my network in order to enable a re-entry of the details.
  • When I select my network it defaults to the message 'the password you entered is not recognised' when in fact I have not been given the opportunity to enter a password.
  • I do have a facility whereby I can log-in to my Apple TV via a separate network but this is somewhat slower.
  • As a result, I have given up on this Apple TV box and will get what I need via various other forms of internet access because, to be honest, it is just not worth the hassle.
  • Once again, despite my lack of success, I do appreciate you taking the time to try to help.
  • Best Regards, Bill

My Apple TV Model MC572SO/A (I think 2nd Generation) will not connect to my Wi-Fi network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.