Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Canon Pixma MX870 drivers?

I'm trying to use my Pixma Mx870 printer with a MacBook Air using Monterey 12.3.1, but it's not connecting and there don't seem to be any drivers available.

These drivers seem to require 12.0 or below, which isn't helpful, and the Canon website only has drivers starting at OS 11 - also not helpful.

One of the support threads indicated that the user was able to use an older computer to connect and print - which doesn't actually solve the problem

Are there viable drivers to use the Canon Pixma MX870 printer with OS X versions greater than 12.0? or has the printer been EOL'd by software?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 2:06 PM

Hi,

Yes, the drivers for the MX870 on Canon's support site appear to be for OS X 10.11 El Capitan and

earlier. You may want to try them with macOS 12 Monterey anyway

Alternatively, you could perhaps try the Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for macOS download from Apple (despite the System Requirements). A Canon MX870 series version 16.10.0.0 driver is mentioned in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. This may not work at all. Look upon it as an experiment.

It has often been suggested to check whether Gutenprint drivers will work with macOS Monterey and older Canon printers (MX870 drivers are listed on the Gutenprint site, but as experimental). However, normally, it is recommended to download from the printer manufacturer or from Apple only.

Sometimes, an old printer driver may in fact be compatible with the latest operating system version, but the installer does not allow it (perhaps because of an old certificate, or something similar). There may be ways around this, but they are not supported...

If necessary, reset the printing system between tests.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

As always, before testing anything, make sure that you have multiple backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera). Software conflicts can never be ruled out.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2022 2:06 PM in response to Nathan Bennett

Hi,

Yes, the drivers for the MX870 on Canon's support site appear to be for OS X 10.11 El Capitan and

earlier. You may want to try them with macOS 12 Monterey anyway

Alternatively, you could perhaps try the Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for macOS download from Apple (despite the System Requirements). A Canon MX870 series version 16.10.0.0 driver is mentioned in Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. This may not work at all. Look upon it as an experiment.

It has often been suggested to check whether Gutenprint drivers will work with macOS Monterey and older Canon printers (MX870 drivers are listed on the Gutenprint site, but as experimental). However, normally, it is recommended to download from the printer manufacturer or from Apple only.

Sometimes, an old printer driver may in fact be compatible with the latest operating system version, but the installer does not allow it (perhaps because of an old certificate, or something similar). There may be ways around this, but they are not supported...

If necessary, reset the printing system between tests.

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

As always, before testing anything, make sure that you have multiple backup copies of all important files (documents, photos, et cetera). Software conflicts can never be ruled out.

Jul 8, 2022 11:04 AM in response to Nathan Bennett

I had the same problem. I had purchased a used Canon MX870 printer. It had a problem with black streaks. I replaced the print-head using a refurbished one from Amazon and it worked like a champ. However I could not get it to work with my Macbook Pro. I am using Big Sur v11.0. I followed the suggestion outlined by Jan Hedlund. I downloaded Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for macOS and installed it. After going through the procedures for adding a printer, I was able to print with my Mac either plugging into it with a usb cord or using WiFi through an internet router. Thank you so much Jan for the info.

No Canon Pixma MX870 drivers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.