Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery temperature

According to coconutbattery, my 13” 2016 MacBook Pro battery reached 47.4°C (117°F) while watching YouTube videos. When I put the computer to my ear I could hear the fans going very faintly. I put the computer on my cooling pad, which brought the temperature down to 40°C (104°F). I’m not really familiar with battery technology and what’s normal and what isn’t. But these seem like very high temperatures for a battery. Is it normal or is there a problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 6, 2022 11:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 6:48 PM

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

When I'm monitoring system temps I tend to mostly concentrate on the CPU & GPU temps since the other temps are usually irrelevant for my needs so I've rarely checked the battery temps during my system stress tests. The battery temp will be related to the overall system & CPU temps. Remember the battery temp at idle is probably about 35C so you have to expect the battery temperature to be more than the idle temp when the CPU is at 95C. I'll see if I can try to run a test tomorrow to see what the battery temp gets to with a system stress test. I wouldn't expect the battery temperature get any higher than 50C though.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 6:48 PM in response to PhantomObsidian

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

When I'm monitoring system temps I tend to mostly concentrate on the CPU & GPU temps since the other temps are usually irrelevant for my needs so I've rarely checked the battery temps during my system stress tests. The battery temp will be related to the overall system & CPU temps. Remember the battery temp at idle is probably about 35C so you have to expect the battery temperature to be more than the idle temp when the CPU is at 95C. I'll see if I can try to run a test tomorrow to see what the battery temp gets to with a system stress test. I wouldn't expect the battery temperature get any higher than 50C though.

Battery temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.