Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio stops on Mac Studio display after a few seconds

My Mac Studio Display was working fine since purchase (March) but audio keeps cutting out after a few seconds of playing a video, etc.

Studio Display

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 3:35 PM

I was on the phone with Apple Support for awhile, went to a Senior Advisor, and now some things are with Apple Engineering. I am waiting to hear back next week - but it is pretty odd now there are at least 3 cases popping up just today.

Does yours make two small "pops" before the audio drops? It happens across all apps and is completely repeatable if you switch audio output and then back to the Studio Display speakers.

51 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 3:35 PM in response to Sherman Wilcox

I was on the phone with Apple Support for awhile, went to a Senior Advisor, and now some things are with Apple Engineering. I am waiting to hear back next week - but it is pretty odd now there are at least 3 cases popping up just today.

Does yours make two small "pops" before the audio drops? It happens across all apps and is completely repeatable if you switch audio output and then back to the Studio Display speakers.

Jul 11, 2022 6:15 AM in response to Admeister

I think you just need to unplug the studio display for about 10 seconds and then plug it back in to reboot the iOS in the Studio Display. I don't think the issue is on the Mac side at least for me, that seemed to be the root cause. I do not know of any option to initiate an iOS reboot on the Studio Display without disconnecting the power. If someone else knows that it might come in handy if the issue returns.

Jul 16, 2022 5:17 AM in response to dbq2005cc

I've had this problem crop up every now and then ever since getting the Studio Display (I got at launch). Unplugging it for a little while fixes it.

You have to actually unplug it from the wall, since there's no power button. You can't just unplug it from the computer.

I was hoping the recent firmware updates would fix this, but they haven't, unfortunately.

Jul 8, 2022 6:01 PM in response to dbq2005cc

Yes. My Mac Studio display on my Mac Mini M1started this sometime today. In Music App, with video on Safari, etc. Same behavior as others, I could switch to another audio output and then when switching back to studio display audio, it would play for a few seconds, make couple of pops and then no audio.

I shutdown and rebooted my Mac mini, not change.

Shutdown Mac mini and then unplugged studio display from power for about 10 seconds and then all back up. Fixed it.

Jul 8, 2022 8:08 PM in response to openthreads

Same here. Completely unplugged the power cord from my Studio Display and Studio - left unplugged for a couple hours actually. Replugged in and got the 3 dots across the Studio Display on plugging back in - and the Display speakers now work past a few seconds. I guess it remains to be seen if it remains once everything warms up again?

Jul 13, 2022 4:16 PM in response to dbq2005cc

Same for me. Have been on firmware 15.5 for a while and this problem just started out of nowhere. I had to unplug for longer to fix it. Not sure what the magic time is but I unplugged for more than half an hour and it's fixed . . . so far. Interesting that even after audio for music, videos, websites, etc. had cut out the alert sounds still worked.

Jul 14, 2022 8:41 PM in response to dbq2005cc

Just had this happen to me as well. Very concerning.

Mac Studio (Max) with Mac Studio Display. All updates are current.

Studio Display sound cut out (with popping sounds) on YouTube video after a couple of seconds of initial playback. I thought it was video/Youtube issue, so I switched to the internal Mac Studio speaker, and it was fine. Switched back to display speakers, and nothing. Opened iTunes, switched back to Studio Display speakers, and it played for a couple of seconds but then repeated popping and cutout. Switched to the internal Mac Studio speaker, and the sound was heard.

I shut down the system and then unplugged the monitor as mentioned. Waited 30 seconds, then plugged the monitor back in. After the three dots on the screen went off, I restarted the Mac Studio. All seems fine now, and playback is fine on both iTunes and YouTube. However, I hope there is a fix or an Apple confirmation that the "unplug" method is a permanent fix. Please advise...

Audio stops on Mac Studio display after a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.