Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

monteray download stuck

I am trying to install Monterey and it gets to the end of installation saying “less than a minute remaining” but it has been there for like 2 hours. Internet speed is fine. I tried to start in safe mode but it just goes back to the download screen and starts reinstalling… again getting stuck at the “less than a minute” mark. Is there any way to make it stop installing? Or go back to old iOS? This is a late 2015 and had Yosemite.

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 9:20 AM

In addition, I suspect that you were using Wi-Fito do the download. If so, you need to know that it virtually always fails. These files are too large for Wi-fi, which is too slow. Then the download file becomes corrupted and can't install properly. Instead, use an Ethernet connection to do the download.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 9:20 AM in response to lunaph

In addition, I suspect that you were using Wi-Fito do the download. If so, you need to know that it virtually always fails. These files are too large for Wi-fi, which is too slow. Then the download file becomes corrupted and can't install properly. Instead, use an Ethernet connection to do the download.

Jul 7, 2022 6:56 PM in response to lunaph

lunaph wrote:

I am trying to install Monterey and it gets to the end of installation saying “less than a minute remaining” but it has been there for like 2 hours. Internet speed is fine. I tried to start in safe mode but it just goes back to the download screen and starts reinstalling… again getting stuck at the “less than a minute” mark. Is there any way to make it stop installing? Or go back to old iOS? This is a late 2015 and had Yosemite.

What happens if you force quit the Mac and reboot as normal...(?)

You can always force quit a shutdown by holding the power button/TouchID for ~6-10 sec.

Force Shut down your Mac.

Log out, sleep, wake, restart or shut down your Mac

Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

monteray download stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.