Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why a different version of Apple Maps on WiFi only model?

I purchased a WiFi-only iPad Pro. I have an iPhone, and I planned on using tethering for WiFi while on the go. One of the things I wanted to use this iPad for was Apple Maps while driving. I even have a nice mount all set up. I quickly discovered that the WiFi-only model doesn't have a GPS receiver and, therefore, can't be used for directions. So I bought an excellent Bluetooth GPS receiver and got ready to use Apple Maps. I discovered that many of the features available on the Apple Maps app on my iPhone and older iPad with cellular service aren't available on this new iPad Pro. It appears that the Apple Maps app available for the iPad WiFi only is different than the app that downloads onto a cellular iPhone or iPad. I can use Waze fine, however. Why is this app crippled when compared to the cellular iPad app? Is there a way to download the "good" version of Apple Maps onto a WiFi-only iPad?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2022 9:35 PM

Currently, this is the only version of Apple Maps available for iPadOS.

For more information you should take a look at these articles:

Get driving directions in Maps on iPad - Apple Support

Things you can do while following a route in Maps on iPad - Apple Support

Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions on iPad - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2022 11:40 PM in response to Edac07

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying there is only one version of Apple Maps for iPadOS? Or am I stuck using the non-cellular version of Apple Maps since I don't have a cellular iPad? Because I can say for sure that the version on my friend's iPad Pro w/cellular works very differently than the version on my WiFi-only iPad Pro. We are running the same iPadOS build and are updated with the latest version of all apps. And even though I am using an external GPS receiver, which works great for providing my exact location, the Apple Maps app doesn't show directions the same way. I have confirmed this with another person I know who also has an iPadPro WiFi-only and an external GPS receiver. They appear to be different apps. Or else, even though the GPS data is getting into the iPad, it's not being used while navigating to a destination using Apple Maps? Other apps such as Waze work fine, as does Google Maps. Just like a cellular iPad. If I recall, it is mostly in the way the turn-by-turn directions work. Or rather don't work.

Thanks for the links. I will check them out as well.

Jul 8, 2022 12:04 AM in response to David MacArthur

OK. I looked at your links. They are different apps. The turn-by-turn directions don't work automatically on a WiFi-only iPad. Even with a GPS signal and an internet connection provided externally. And there are additional Map settings available only on the cellular iPad. If I had known this, I would have gotten the cellular iPad. I figured I would use it tethered, and it would work. Thinking that I would simply need an internet connection. As I said, I found out I also needed a GPS receiver. Yet even with both of those bases covered, it still doesn't work the same. And now it's too late to exchange. I was also surprised that my iPhone doesn't provide GPS data to the iPad when tethered. Seems like a good idea. So if anyone else is debating between a WiFi and a cellular model, understand there are limitations you may not have thought about. I'm pretty sure I would get all the features even if I bought the cellular model, didn't get a service plan for it, and did what I initially intended by using my iPhone for mobile internet access.

Thanks very much for your help.

Why a different version of Apple Maps on WiFi only model?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.