Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview repeatedly locks my images, saying I "don't have permission" to edit them

Preview repeatedly locks my screenshots and other images, meaning I can't edit them, change the dpi, crop, markup or anything...

I just get endless error popups saying I don't have permission to unlock the file, or I don't own the image.

I know that a 'workaround' – if you can call it that – is rebooting Preview, but that often doesn't work for any meaningful length of time either - also it's often inconvenient to do so as I've PDF docs open as well that I'm annotating alongside, and am not ready to close them just because Preview has had an attack of the vapours over a .png I'm editing. 🙄

I've also gone into Finder, clicked 'Get Info' on a folder, to unlock the entire folder and all its contents to enable any user to edit an image, but they're already unlocked, and all I can do is to click the padlock and use the little drop-down to say 'apply to all folder contents', force quit Preview and start again.

a) I shouldn't have to do this as they're my images anyway, it's my Mac, registered to me, so irrespective of it being locked or unlocked, why isn't Preview automatically giving me permission to edit all my own files by default?!

b) Even though I've done this countless times, I still have to keep returning and re-doing it weekly, so it's not a permanent solution.

c) This has been happening since early 2021. It's irritatingly time-consuming, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a piece of kit so established, to be more stable than this.

Preview has always been very buggy – a delicate flower freezing/unresponsive/crashing at simple requests like editing just one or two images. It seems to go into meltdown, falls over in a dead faint

needing a defibrillator if it's not to expire entirely.

When I've got the readies, I intend to get Affinity – until then... *sigh*

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2022 9:34 AM

RaphaeliteGirl wrote:

Preview repeatedly locks my screenshots and other images, meaning I can't edit them, change the dpi, crop, markup or anything...

I just get endless error popups saying I don't have permission to unlock the file, or I don't own the image.

I know that a 'workaround' – if you can call it that – is rebooting Preview, but that often doesn't work for any meaningful length of time either - also it's often inconvenient to do so as I've PDF docs open as well that I'm annotating alongside, and am not ready to close them just because Preview has had an attack of the vapours over a .png I'm editing. 🙄

I've also gone into Finder, clicked 'Get Info' on a folder, to unlock the entire folder and all its contents to enable any user to edit an image, but they're already unlocked, and all I can do is to click the padlock and use the little drop-down to say 'apply to all folder contents', force quit Preview and start again.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/5b852ff9-26d6-4660-b4c7-6d26a7b62737

a) I shouldn't have to do this as they're my images anyway, it's my Mac, registered to me, so irrespective of it being locked or unlocked, why isn't Preview automatically giving me permission to edit all my own files by default?!

b) Even though I've done this countless times, I still have to keep returning and re-doing it weekly, so it's not a permanent solution.

c) This has been happening since early 2021.

Did you try running the Disk First Aid—

Boot into (Internet) Recovery (Option) Command R and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

Volume level

Container level

Parent drive

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2022 9:34 AM in response to RaphaeliteGirl

RaphaeliteGirl wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/5b852ff9-26d6-4660-b4c7-6d26a7b62737

c) This has been happening since early 2021.

Did you try running the Disk First Aid—

Boot into (Internet) Recovery (Option) Command R and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD (and the "Macintosh HD-Data" volume as well if Catalina/Big Sur/Monterey) If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Disk Utility>View>Show All Devices The best sequence is —

Volume level

Container level

Parent drive

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc impacting the smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Preview repeatedly locks my images, saying I "don't have permission" to edit them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.