You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Card Unavailable

When I try to add Apple Card shared from family account I get the message “Apple Pay services are unavailable. Please try again later”. I’ve gotten the same message for the last 5 days. I have restarted my phone, signed in and out of iCloud, and have the latest iOS. How can I fix this?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Jul 11, 2022 4:49 PM

29 replies

Jul 12, 2022 3:51 AM in response to katelynlindberg

There can be multiple causes and solutions for this issue. In no particular order I’ve listed some of the common solutions,

1) Log out of your Apple ID and then log back into your account

2) Turn off you VPN

3) Try using a different connection, if on Wi-Fi use cellular network or vice versa

4) Change your Region on your iPhone to another region then change the region back to US.

Change your Apple ID country or region - Apple Support

5) Update your birthdate on Apple ID

Update the birth date associated with your Apple ID - Apple Support

6) Do a forced restart of your iPhone

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

7) Update your iOS on iPhone to latest version

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

8) Reset you network settings on your iPhone

Reset your Network Settings. If you're using iOS or iPadOS 15 or later, tap Settings > General > Transfer or Reset [Device] > Reset > Reset Network Settings. If you're using iOS or iPadOS 14 or earlier, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Force restarting you iPhone after completing many of the steps above may help.

If you’re still have issues adding your card after the above, please post a reply.

Jul 14, 2022 9:59 AM in response to Jeff Donald

• To your question "Are you logged out of your Apple ID on all other devices?" --- Yes for my wife's devices. I've logged out my wife's devices yesterday, but today I've logged them back in. I didn't log out my own devices.
  • To your question "How did you get an invitation? Did you invite each other?" --- No, I invited my wife but not the other way around. When I said "invitation" on my iPhone, I meant the invitation I sent to my wife, which could be found on my Wallet.app and click the "3 dots" at the upper right corner.

Jul 14, 2022 10:48 AM in response to Jeff Donald

I believe that the original post was by katelynlindberg, and it was only me who added to this same thread --- I think at this point I've tried all potential solutions so I would leave this thread back to katelynlindberg.

One last thing: I could re-try your suggestion of logging out all devices and see if I could delete the invitation. Just want to quickly double check:

1. Should we log out my wife's devices, or my own devices, or both?
  2. You said "only one device can be logged in", did you mean that after logging out of all devices, I should just log-in one device (say, the iPhone), then try to delete the invitation?

Jul 12, 2022 9:16 AM in response to Jeff Donald

No, we are not running the new beta software; our iOS version is the latest 15.5.

More details: Previously my wife and I both had owned an Apple Card. Two days ago we set up Apple Card Family as co-owners. But today my wife found in her Wallet app that her previous Apple Card account was closed. We thought this might just mean that my wife needed to re-add a "new" merged Apple Card into her Wallet app. We took the step:

Wallet app > Previous Cards > Continue

Then we received the following error message:

We've tried several troubleshooting e.g., restarting the iPhone, change internets, etc. But the problem still persists. One thing that slightly changed the error message is: after removing my wife's original Apple Card (which was shown to be closed), and when we went through the same "re-adding" process, the following error message showed:

We would very much appreciate it if anyone could let us know any potential solutions.

Jul 14, 2022 9:54 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Normally this is usually the case, but in my case it didn't respond at all no matter how I swipe left, swipe right, click, or press&hold it, etc.

Update: Those operations above were on my wife (co-owner)'s iPhone. On my own iPhone, there is also a pending invitation. Swiping also didn't work, and when I clicked into it, it showed the following screen where there is also no button for me to click. It seems to me that the process was stuck on the Apple devices of mine and of my wife's.

Jul 12, 2022 5:04 AM in response to katelynlindberg

Do you have multiple Apple devices, iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch and/or Mac? If so the next steps get more time consuming.

It looks like you have pending invitations that are open on the other devices. They will need to be removed from all your devices. You’ll need to log out of your Apple ID on all those devices and log out of iCloud on the web. You may have to end up removing all credit cards from your Wallet on all your devices as well.

Have you opened a support ticket with Apple support and Goldman Sachs support?

Jul 12, 2022 11:38 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Sorry, this is not quite correct. To clarify: I invited my wife to join as a co-owner. Two days later, my wife's virtual card in Wallet.app somehow got closed, and couldn't be re-added (the error messages shown above); on the other hand, my own virtual card in my Wallet.app is still available -- in fact, I could see my wife's credit line has been added to my credit line, suggesting that the family share has somehow been successfully set up.

So in short, the problem is: my wife cannot use her Apple Card now since there is no valid Apple Card in her Wallet.app on her iPhone/iPad/MacBook. Could you please advise how to fix this issue?

For what's worth, I found a similar report from Reddit -- this was an old post 10 months ago, but some new replies within this month suggests that the problem still occurred. Not sure whether it is OK to post an external link here so I would just leave the subject line of the said post: "Adding a co-owner closed my account" in the r/AppleCard Reddit community.

Jul 12, 2022 11:47 AM in response to Lucas Wilson

This is has popped up from time to time over the last 12 months. It was about 12 months ago, that Goldman Sachs enabled joint accounts (co-owners) and this issue has affected a few account owners.

Do either of you have an active installment plan from your before you joined accounts?

Have you been following the troubleshooting steps I posted above?

Jul 12, 2022 3:01 PM in response to Lucas Wilson

A quick update: Just now I've also tried your step (1) ("Log out of your Apple ID and then log back into your account"), but no luck. Though, I only logged out one of the Apple devices because for now I might not want to log out all of my Apple devices (iPhone/iPad/Mac) and risk having all of cards removed.

Another observation is that I could see a "pending" invitation from my devices as well as my wife's devices. But it is un-clickable in the sense that when I clicked these pending invitation, the devices did not respond anything.

Jul 12, 2022 7:15 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Thanks again. Unfortunately, after removing the "closed" Apple Card on the co-owner's every device, the pending invitation is still there, and we're still unable to re-add the Apple Card to the co-owner's device. It seems that the merge of two accounts has already happened (suggested by the combined credit line, and the fact that the physical card works), but the virtual card or the Wallet.app on the co-owner's Apple devices get stuck.

The problem is, although we could use the physical card for the moment, almost all the essential and convenient functions are supposed to be operated through the Wallet.app, so it caused quite some troubles to us.

Anything else that you might suggest we could try?

Jul 13, 2022 4:50 AM in response to Lucas Wilson

If the pending invitation is still showing, you’ll not be able to add Apple Card to the Wallet. This is documented in multiple discussions over the last year. Like Apple Card, the pending invitation is associated/tied to the Apple ID. To the best of my knowledge the only way to remove the pending invitation is to log out of the Apple ID on all devices and iCloud account (online). Once logged out, do a forced restart of all devices (restart Mac), log into you Apple ID and remove the invitation.

Apple Card Unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.