Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp won't reinstall on Windows 10

I have a clean install of Windows 10 on a 2013 MBP 15" Retina model. It was working fine and had all of the current updates. The Bootcamp software was working fine as well. The keyboard light worked, the trackpad, wifi, etc.

You could also access the grey diamond icon in the access trey to check for Bootcamp updates and restart into Mac OS.

I had recently messed around with parallels desktop on the Mac side. It had an option to use the Bootcamp partition to run Windows 10 without restarting. I tried it, but decided I would rather be in the native environment. I removed the Windows 10 virtual machine and then restarted in Windows 10.

Now, the additional software that Windows needs to use the Apple hardware seem to have disappeared. The grey diamond is no longer in the task bar. I cannot right click using two fingers for the track pad and I cannot scroll. The keyboard doesn't light up, and the F keys don't function to change the volume or monitor brightness. Somehow my wifi is working.

I take my USB that has the bootcamp software and it only allows me to "repair". After a restart, everything is still missing and not working as it should. I check add/remove software and I see Bootcamp on there with 6.0..6136, but the options to modify and uninstall are both greyed out and I cannot click on them.

I have even tried to install the drivers by themselves, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Not sure why it's not repairing or how to get the software to go back on.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 7:45 AM

I have managed to fix it and it took a few steps. I tried chatting with Apple help, but since the software wasn't repairing successfully, they suggested I bring it into an Apple store. However, I gave it one more shot. This will be detailed for two reasons: A. when I'm searching a problem and come across the same issue with no resolve, it's frustrating and B. people are at different tech levels and I would hope that this can help anyone who needs it.

This requires that you have already made a USB drive with the Bootcamp install software on it.

1. Restart Windows 10 into safe mode. Do this by holding the Shift key and clicking on restart. You will see a blue screen come up to either start Windows 10 normally, or the second option to Troubleshoot. Choose Troubleshoot and it'll take you to a list of boot options. Your list may differ, but I chose #4 which is "Enable Safe Mode".
  2. Your screen may look all zoomed in, this is fine and will go back to normal once done. In the bottom tray, open that file icon for your file manager.

Now to get to your Bootcamp folder. Towards the top of the screen, under the word "home" you will see an up arrow. click on that. Double click on "This PC", double click on the C: drive at the bottom of the screen (Mine was called BOOTCAMP, yours maybe different), double click on "Program Files" (NOT Program Files (86)).

3. At the top of the list, you should see a folder called "Boot Camp". Drag it to the recycle bin. You may have to minimize the current window to be able to see it. Minimize is the middle box icon in the upper right corner of the window. It will ask you to authorize throwing this file in the recycle bin and click OK.

4. Now empty the recycle bin. If you have a USB mouse plugged in, you can right click on the recycle bin and chose empty. If you only have the track pad like me, double click the recycle bin. At the top, you will see the word "Manage" with "Recycle Bin Tools" under it. Click on "Recycle Bin Tools". The first option is to empty the Recycle Bin. Click on that and also "OK" in the next screen that pops up.

5. Restart the Mac without holding down any keys. When Windows comes back up, open your USB that has the Bootcamp software and run it. It will still show that it's going to repair. Let the process complete, your screen will flash a few times.

6. When it's done, it'll tell you to restart. Go ahead with the restart, and that should have everything back to normal.

This is the exact steps that I did. Not sure if it'll help in each situation, but it's worth a try.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2022 7:45 AM in response to DeathStalker13

I have managed to fix it and it took a few steps. I tried chatting with Apple help, but since the software wasn't repairing successfully, they suggested I bring it into an Apple store. However, I gave it one more shot. This will be detailed for two reasons: A. when I'm searching a problem and come across the same issue with no resolve, it's frustrating and B. people are at different tech levels and I would hope that this can help anyone who needs it.

This requires that you have already made a USB drive with the Bootcamp install software on it.

1. Restart Windows 10 into safe mode. Do this by holding the Shift key and clicking on restart. You will see a blue screen come up to either start Windows 10 normally, or the second option to Troubleshoot. Choose Troubleshoot and it'll take you to a list of boot options. Your list may differ, but I chose #4 which is "Enable Safe Mode".
  2. Your screen may look all zoomed in, this is fine and will go back to normal once done. In the bottom tray, open that file icon for your file manager.

Now to get to your Bootcamp folder. Towards the top of the screen, under the word "home" you will see an up arrow. click on that. Double click on "This PC", double click on the C: drive at the bottom of the screen (Mine was called BOOTCAMP, yours maybe different), double click on "Program Files" (NOT Program Files (86)).

3. At the top of the list, you should see a folder called "Boot Camp". Drag it to the recycle bin. You may have to minimize the current window to be able to see it. Minimize is the middle box icon in the upper right corner of the window. It will ask you to authorize throwing this file in the recycle bin and click OK.

4. Now empty the recycle bin. If you have a USB mouse plugged in, you can right click on the recycle bin and chose empty. If you only have the track pad like me, double click the recycle bin. At the top, you will see the word "Manage" with "Recycle Bin Tools" under it. Click on "Recycle Bin Tools". The first option is to empty the Recycle Bin. Click on that and also "OK" in the next screen that pops up.

5. Restart the Mac without holding down any keys. When Windows comes back up, open your USB that has the Bootcamp software and run it. It will still show that it's going to repair. Let the process complete, your screen will flash a few times.

6. When it's done, it'll tell you to restart. Go ahead with the restart, and that should have everything back to normal.

This is the exact steps that I did. Not sure if it'll help in each situation, but it's worth a try.

Bootcamp won't reinstall on Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.