Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple removed Screentime for kids 13 and up

Screentime suddenly stopped working for my 13 year old's phone. I can no longer limit apps or have downtime kick it - now it just shows me the ridiculous amount of hours logged if I don't physically remove the phone. I called Apple and apparently screentime no longer works when a kid turns 13. This is the absolute worst age to have no ability to limit useage. They need it to be in touch with friends and make plans but if the phone isn't taken away, they often can't turn it off and log endless hours on TikTok etc. The Apple rep told me they are only considered kids from age 0-12. Then at 13 since they are allowed their own apple id there is no longer any way for a parent to limit useage without physically taking the phone. This is so frustrating! Does anyone know why Apple changed this? It worked for my older kids - this is a new thing.

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 7:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 8:34 PM

Thanks. I tried to leave feedback on the Apple site but there is no option for Screentime. That's why I came to this discussion board. I think that unless you have a tween/teen it's difficult to understand how important it is for parents to have the ability to monitor and limit their kids' phones. Mine hands the phone in at 9:00 but during the day asking them to hand in their phone results in constant friction and I'm not always home. When they are young it's easy to take it, but as they get older they use their phones for so many things - to talk to friends, play games in groups and even to draw, write notes, edit photos and many other creative things. You don't want to isolate them but they are too young to be disciplined enough to turn off the highly addictive apps. Apple invented a brilliant feature that allowed parents to limit certain apps and then they decided that they were going to remove that feature for anyone above 12. If a parent doesn't want to control their kids time, they don't have to but it should be the parent's choice. I didn't use it much once my older kids turned 16 but younger teens are still in crucial developing phase and it's distressing to log in and see that they've had 5 hours on TikTok. To remove the screentime feature for kids above 12 seems bizarre after all the research that has come out showing the negative effects of excessive screentime on kids brains. Apologies for the crazy long response - I'm just to frustrated.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2022 8:34 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks. I tried to leave feedback on the Apple site but there is no option for Screentime. That's why I came to this discussion board. I think that unless you have a tween/teen it's difficult to understand how important it is for parents to have the ability to monitor and limit their kids' phones. Mine hands the phone in at 9:00 but during the day asking them to hand in their phone results in constant friction and I'm not always home. When they are young it's easy to take it, but as they get older they use their phones for so many things - to talk to friends, play games in groups and even to draw, write notes, edit photos and many other creative things. You don't want to isolate them but they are too young to be disciplined enough to turn off the highly addictive apps. Apple invented a brilliant feature that allowed parents to limit certain apps and then they decided that they were going to remove that feature for anyone above 12. If a parent doesn't want to control their kids time, they don't have to but it should be the parent's choice. I didn't use it much once my older kids turned 16 but younger teens are still in crucial developing phase and it's distressing to log in and see that they've had 5 hours on TikTok. To remove the screentime feature for kids above 12 seems bizarre after all the research that has come out showing the negative effects of excessive screentime on kids brains. Apologies for the crazy long response - I'm just to frustrated.

Jul 15, 2022 5:52 AM in response to Katijo

If a feature is not working as you desire then I recommend you send Apple feedback:

Click on this link for Apple products feedback links --> Product Feedback - Apple

Apple may not respond but your comment will be read.

If indeed it does stop working automatically when a child turns 13 (I have never used it and I see no mention of that in the documentation) then in your case you may simply have to insist the child let you have access to their phone to set up ScreenTime again.

Jul 15, 2022 4:06 AM in response to muguy

Yes but if you aren’t with them to physically get on their phone you can’t alter anything. I would give a limit of 2 hours which would be used early on but could allow more time

rotely when she requested it after she’d put the phone down for a while. Also - I think they can make the changes themselves on their phone if they realize they now have access.

Apple removed Screentime for kids 13 and up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.