Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 cd/dvd trays in a 2009 MacPro won't open, WAIT - IT OPENED, not opened, opened, then not...:-(

I've a late 2009 Mac Pro - works awesome, except for the dual DVD trays. For the longest time, the trays worked great. And for the longest time, they didn't work at all. I could press to eject on the keyboard, I hear them start to open, and then nothing. It sounded like something was physically blocking them. The front silver doors would never open, then go through the paces like there was a CD/DVD just inserted. I could hear the drive start the spinning process, but would stop, obviously as there were no discs inserted.

I spent countless hours (days) trying to get the drives to work, using all available commands, even through booting and terminal. I was convinced something was broke. I finally gave up and related it to a software command issue. One of the drives is an original OEM Apple SuperDrive, the other a 3rd party compatible. They did work together for a while.

I've been through different keyboards for many years. My wireless Apple aluminum keyboard, and a MacAlly for a long time. Still - the drives did not work. I accidentally spilled liquid on the MacAlly keyboard recently. OK - it was a glass a wine, but I digress. So, I pulled out an old Apple full sized wireless keyboard (white keys, acrylic base - 4 AA batteries).

I don't know what prompted me to hit the disc eject button, but I did, and...... out popped the disc tray. I think I stared at it for 15 seconds, and then started chuckling silently. IT WAS A MIRACLE!

I was frightened to hit the eject button again, in fear of the tray retracting and never opening again. Alas, it did open again. And again, And again. (Yeah - I couldn't get enough of it). (About 7 times total)

Then, it wouldn't open again. AGHHHHHHHHH! What the heck? Never touched the tray to close. I did it all by the eject button on the keyboard.

Postscript: I know they are not physically broken. I was able to open and close 7 times with the old keyboard. But now it's back to the same state as mentioned earlier.

I've tried all the keyboard combos, terminal commands, menu eject, boot commands. There are no CD/DVDs in the trays. I did end up buying an external USB CD/DVD earlier this year, which works.

Ghost in the Machine?

Would love your opinion, or if you've experienced the same issues, where the CD/DVD came to life one day... and then not, then did, then....

:-P

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 3:14 PM

Sometimes the exterior silver doors (that have no physical attachment to the DVD drive itself) get sticky. You may be able to encourage one to open by pressing in a downward direction.

This will expose the face of a "regular" desktop DVD reader. Often the models used also have the famous "bent paperclip" hole that will move the tray out just enough to grab it and pull it the rest of the way open.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 3:14 PM in response to Twiddle

Sometimes the exterior silver doors (that have no physical attachment to the DVD drive itself) get sticky. You may be able to encourage one to open by pressing in a downward direction.

This will expose the face of a "regular" desktop DVD reader. Often the models used also have the famous "bent paperclip" hole that will move the tray out just enough to grab it and pull it the rest of the way open.

Jul 15, 2022 5:03 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Good suggestion. I forgot to mention I tried that many times. I've looked at them again, and I am contemplating taking the silver doors off, completely. But from the operation - it's not physical blocking anything. It's too bad they don't have pin-holes (aka paperclip) push trick.

I do clean out the dust build up with an air compressor every 9-12 months. I take it outside and tear it down to clean. Next time I do that, I think I'll take the drives out and maybe completely remove the tray fronts.

I can't update the macOS any more past 10.11, and Adobe CC not updating past their 2018 version on some apps. Slowly - the Browsers are following suit with not supporting past 10.11 anymore. Frack. I know there are free alternatives to many apps. I'm a design and tech guru - since '88.

I do like the specs on the Mac Studio. Time for a new Mac?

Jul 15, 2022 5:26 PM in response to Twiddle

The hardware for the 2009 model and the 2010-12 model is nearly identical. Some users have discovered that if your force-install the 2010 firmware, your Mac becomes a Mac Pro 5,1, and can be upograded from there. We can't provide specific instructions here because such stuff is considered potentially destructive or dangerous, and novice users might hurt themselves. But this is hobbyist stuff.

If you use your Mac for real creative work, you want trouble-free, and that is a new(er) Mac.

Jul 15, 2022 5:51 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yeah - I'm ready to bite the bullet. I feel like I've milked the current Mac Pro enough. I've loved it. I've had more and more requests to do HD DV, and it's pretty taxing on the current system. It gets the job done, though, very stable - but time is money in this industry. And post-processing is a killer. It's fine for all the 2-D stuff I do, but getting more into After Effects, and Premiere.

Cheers!

2 cd/dvd trays in a 2009 MacPro won't open, WAIT - IT OPENED, not opened, opened, then not...:-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.