Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All sound on my Mac dies after the first sound is completed (crazy issue)

I purchased a used MacBook Pro 2019 recently and it has developed an audio issue I cannot figure out. When trying to play sound through the speakers whatever the first sound I try to play after a restart works fine. Whether I play a YouTube video or change the volume level and hear the little indicator sound play it will work. However, if I move away from the sound (like switch YouTube videos, move to play a Spotify song, or again try to change the volume) the sound doesn't work. Nothing comes out of the speakers.

In Terminal, if I run the "sudo killall coreaudiod" command then audio will begin working again, however, as soon as I load another YouTube video or switch audio streams it dies again! I get similar results if I close the lid of the laptop wait and beat and open it. The first sound will work and then nothing else!

This issue does not occur when using Bluetooth or wired headphones.

1. I have checked the audio output and it is correct
  2. I have restarted many times
  3. I have reset the PRAM
  4. I have reformatted the computer completely (at the Big Sur level and upgraded to Monterey) and the issue STILL persists.
  5. Reset the SMC
  6. Change from 44kHz to 48kHz

I'm at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2022 3:22 AM

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro audio related hardware with Apple Diagnostics if it reports audio related hardware error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help or reports audio related error, you'd better take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2022 3:22 AM in response to rotz055

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro audio related hardware with Apple Diagnostics if it reports audio related hardware error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If it doesn't help or reports audio related error, you'd better take your MacBook Pro to your local retail AppleStore or Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

All sound on my Mac dies after the first sound is completed (crazy issue)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.