Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

found iphone

i found an iphone in my car. i work for uber. it has been over a month no one has tried calling it or contacting me to retrieve it? i keep it fully charged, power on hoping that someone will call so i can return it. my question, is there a way to factory reset the device so i can use it with my mobile carrier? i do not know the password and i would prefer it be reset to the factory setting to protect the prior owners privacy.

iPhone 12

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 6:21 PM

There is no way for you to reset and reuse the device. If it is still active, then it is locked to the owner. And unless they remove the Activation Lock, you will not be able to activate it. Activation Lock is a theft-prevention system to prevent people from restoring and using stolen devices. See this, Return a lost, locked iPhone - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 6:21 PM in response to nos0613

There is no way for you to reset and reuse the device. If it is still active, then it is locked to the owner. And unless they remove the Activation Lock, you will not be able to activate it. Activation Lock is a theft-prevention system to prevent people from restoring and using stolen devices. See this, Return a lost, locked iPhone - Apple Support

Aug 5, 2022 9:17 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The "Return a lost, locked iPhone - Apple Support" article only helps with phones that show a message that says that the iPhone has been reported lost or stolen. Without that message, law enforcement will only be able to act if they (1) accept found property (not all agencies do) and (2) the owner has reported the loss or theft to them including a serial number (the only useful info that a locked phone will reveal). You would think that Apple would be able to look up the serial number and return the phone to its owner. Today I was told at an Apple Store in San Mateo, CA that Apple keeps serial number records for only 90 days. So if you find an older phone that still works, they can't help. And they won't accept the phone for recycling because the Activation Lock shows the phone is not yours.

found iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.