Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding transitions in iMovie

I have used iMovie for years although admittedly not recently. In fact, there have been several updates and perhaps a new iMac since I last used it. Adding transitions was a very easy operation in the old days. I have just spent a frustrating hour simply trying to insert cross dissolves. I have turned off the automatic option. I attempt to select clips, select transition I want and add it but this does not happen. Where I've managed to a actually add a transition (I'm not sure how this even happened), I've tried selecting the successful transition, copying it and pasting it into where I'd like a new one. Nothing works. Apple is becoming less and less logical, less user friendly. Can someone fill me in on what I'm missing here in this very simple operation.

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2022 8:00 PM

If it is still not working, then perhaps a corrupt preference is causing the problem. Try deleting/resetting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2022 8:00 PM in response to animoz

If it is still not working, then perhaps a corrupt preference is causing the problem. Try deleting/resetting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Jul 17, 2022 4:38 PM in response to Rich839

Yes. That's what I tried to do. Copying and paste was a desperate attempt to make it work. But first I tried dragging it into the timeline.

---

After replying, I went back and tried it again. It drags but doesn't stay at the place in the timeline. I've also tried first selecting the clips I'd like to link with the transition. No dice.

adding transitions in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.